Problem Navigating the Web

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Seems like the web...
You write
hotmail, google, and links are some examples
Isn't that the entire net? Or do you mean some special links?
Can you test your connection?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You never configured anything in the router?
I could start using some foul language here :lol:
Not even the password?
If so there's a chance that your router has been attacked and tampered with :cry:
Read the manual for the router and make a "hard reset"
It's often a little hole where you push a pin - some routers are to be turned off and others on - odd :)
Then change login name if possible and most definitely password to a really strong one (and write it down)
Hopefully you should be ok
It's good to have a router as they (almost?) always have a hardware firewall built in.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

From my experience (and after reading some forums about it) routers seem to stop working as they should after a while, meaning they lose connection easily and often or become very slow. You could maybe look for some forums/reviews about the router you have. It might be helpful
Husse

Post by Husse »

routers seem to stop working as they should after a while
Never heard that, but a hardware reset is a fix to that too
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:
routers seem to stop working as they should after a while
Never heard that
some Linksys models will do that ... e.g. due to a bug in their firmware they will keep routing tables forever and forever, meaning that they really soon running out of RAM and thus their performance comes to a crawl. I too have such a baby: Linksys WRT-54GL with an integrated Linux on it. Whenever I use Azureus the performance goes seriously down afterwards and I have to hard-reset it once in a while.

The good thing about the WRT-54GL is that there are alternative Firmwares floating around on the web ... I definitely will try them out. The default firmware software provided by Linksys is just too restricted for my special needs :lol:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ahh - after a short while - yes - but for some reason I was only thinking of a long term degradation
Hardware reset and a fresh password is the word :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:Ahh - after a short while ....
I just installed the latest DD-WRT firmware .... oh man, is this cool :lol:

I read one can also install it on some of the Linksys WAP54-xx access point models. I just happen to have one here too ... WAP54G. It's just a "stupid" access point, pretty far away feature-wise from the more expensive WRT54GL ...

And now guess what? Installing the inofficial WRT54GL firmware onto the WAP54G turns this stupid access point into a full wireless router + firewall, with the same abilities as the "real" router WRT54GL which costs a little more :lol:

The wonders of Linux-based firmwares :D
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

scorpt123: I have the WRT54GS, where are you looking at/ DL'ing this Linux s/w for the Linksys? Thanks.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Link please scorp :)
I've got a WRT54G v.2 and I had to "strangle" it to 11 mbps and change channel to get a connection that didn't break up all the time - I think it still does now and then, but my wife doesn't tell me
More stable as well you think?
//Found it, but it says "works with serial # CDGxxx" and I have MDGxxx - I wonder....
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads.php

Code: Select all

DD-WRT Hardware Support Notes 
----------------------------- 
Note: Please read the flashing notes relevant to your hardware. 

1.) DD-WRT supported/tested router hardware versions 
Router:               Serial Number prefixes: 
Linksys  WRT54G 1.0   CDF0xxx or CDF1xxx 
Linksys  WRT54G 1.1   CDF2xxx or CDF3xxx 
Linksys  WRT54G 2.0   CDF5xxx 
Linksys  WRT54G 2.2   CDF7xxx 
Linksys  WRT54G 3.0   CDF8xxx 
Linksys  WRT54G 3.1   CDF9xxx 
Linksys  WRT54G 4.0   CDFAxxx 
Linksys  WRT54G 5.0   (JTAG only with cfe update, see http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Flash_Your_Version_5_WRT54G )
Linksys  WRT54GL 1.0  CL7Axxx 
Linksys  WRT54GL 1.1  CL7Bxxx

Linksys  WRT54GS 1.0  CGN0xxx or CGN1xxx 
Linksys  WRT54GS 1.1  CGN2xxx 
Linksys  WRT54GS 2.0  CGN3xxx 
Linksys  WRT54GS 2.1  CGN4xxx 
Linksys  WRT54GS 3.0  CGN5xxx 
Linksys  WRT54GS 4.0  CGN6xxx 

Linksys  WAP v1.0 (micro only)
Linksys  WAP v2.0 (micro only)
Linksys  WAP v3.0 (micro only)

Linksys  WRTSL54GS    CJK0xxx

Linksys  WRT300N v1 (v24 only)

Allnet   ALL0277 
Buffalo  WHR-G54S 
Buffalo  WHR-HP-G54 
Buffalo  WZR-HP-G54
Buffalo  WBR-G54
Buffalo  WLA-G54
Buffalo  WBR2-G54
Buffalo  WBR2-G54S
Buffalo  WZR-RS-G54
Buffalo  WZR-G300N Mimo / Nfinity (v24 only)
Belkin   F5D7130/7330 (2mb flash)
Belkin   F5D7230-4 v1444 (2mb flash)
Belkin   F5D7230-4 v1000
Belkin   F5D7231-4 
ASUS     WL500G-Deluxe 
ASUS     WL500G-Premium
ASUS     WL-300g 
ASUS     WL-500g 

Motorola WR850G/GP      --> see flashing notes below 
Siemens  Gigaset SE505  --> see flashing notes below 
Siemens  Gigaset SX550i --> same as SE505
Ravo     W54-RT         --> see flashing notes for SE505 v1 (identical to SE505 v1) 
Askey    RT210W         --> see flashing notes for SE505 v1 (identical to SE505 v1) 
Works great on mine. Linksys WRT54G 2.0 CDF5xxx
Husse, I would try it.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

newW2 wrote:scorpt123: I have the WRT54GS, where are you looking at/ DL'ing this Linux s/w for the Linksys? Thanks.
I started at Wikipedia which then has all the links and gory details ... No kidding :D Google and Wikipedia are very good friends these days. 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

merlwiz79 wrote:

DD-WRT Hardware Support Notes 
Linksys  WRT54GL 1.1  CL7Bxxx
Bingo, that's my router right there. I installed the "VPN" version there. Works fantastic!!!!! I modified the damn connection and port table settings. Now my little blue friend with the two antennas can handle 4096 TCP+UDP ports (default before: a ridiculous 512 !!) and it will drop the connection tables after 120 seconds (default before: A totally way sick 3600 seconds !!!!) ... No wonder the router gets slow as a snail with the default firmware :roll: .... I modified some other parameters and now it feels like my Internet speed has doubled :D
merlwiz79 wrote:

Linksys  WAP v3.0 (micro only)
Yes, that's the access point. I used the "micro" edition on my WAP54G as the quote above suggests. Even though this is called a "micro" release with only the most essential features, the AP's abilities get drastically enhanced and expanded. Awesome :D
merlwiz79 wrote: Husse, I would try it.
Just make sure you really read the instructions very very precisely ... One false move and your WRT54G will be transformed into a dead piece of plastic. Just follow the instructions stubborn like a donkey and be precise like a Swiss watch and all will be fine. I have to admit I was a little scared at first but when I saw that this stuff works it was very very rewarding :D

Oh, and make sure you write down all the settings (e.g. Internet connection details, etc.) as you will have to reset the device to the factory settings, so you will lose all the configs. And the Linksys configs aren't really compatible with those inofficial firmwares, so you will have to type in all the config details again. That's the only slightly negative thing, but as I said: It's very very rewarding. :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm well aware of the risks
I can't read :oops:
I have a WAP54G v.2
But if the WAP v2.0 are for that one I'll study the instructions carefully and consider an update
Only my wife will lose connection :):)
In case of failure - these gadgets are cheap...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote: I have a WAP54G v.2
The DD-WRT "micro" release should work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”