[SOLVED] How to remove all linux entry on the uefi menu? I reformatted the linux partitions but it still remains

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Helbram
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to remove all linux entry on the uefi menu? I reformatted the linux partitions but it still remains

Post by Helbram »

Should I reformat the efi partition too?
Last edited by Helbram on Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to remove all linux entry on the uefi menu? I reformatted the linux partitions but the entries still remain.

Post by xenopeek »

Do you mean you only have Windows installed now?

If you still have a Linux you can use the efibootmgr command to delete EFI boot entries.
Helbram
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to remove all linux entry on the uefi menu? I reformatted the linux partitions but the entries still remain.

Post by Helbram »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:21 am Do you mean you only have Windows installed now?

If you still have a Linux you can use the efibootmgr command to delete EFI boot entries.
I still have the bootable lmde usb. Can I use that?
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

I don't know what's that * option but if those ubuntu and debian boot options are shown it could be because efi loaders are still on EFI partition/s. If it is so, you can mount EFI partition(System) on Windows and remove ubuntu and debian folders if they are there.

Yes, also you can do it booting LMDE live. Removing boot options with efibootmgr would make them disappear from firmware's boot manager on next boot but it is not enough. If you have left those folders on EFI partition they would be shown again...soon or later.

Most probably file browser (nemo) won't show that EFI partition on Devices ...
Nemo.png
You will need to mount it by example with Disks (Menu>Accessories>Disks) first.
Disks.png
Disks.png (29.07 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Then you can see that device on file browser bookmarks, get into it >EFI> remove those folders if they are present.

Post back sudo parted -l, sudo blkid and sudo efibootmgr -v in any case.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Helbram
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Helbram »

Jo-con-Ël wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:01 am I don't know what's that * option but if those ubuntu and debian boot options are shown it could be because efi loaders are still on EFI partition/s. If it is so, you can mount EFI partition(System) on Windows and remove ubuntu and debian folders if they are there.

Yes, also you can do it booting LMDE live. Removing boot options with efibootmgr would make them disappear from firmware's boot manager on next boot but it is not enough. If you have left those folders on EFI partition they would be shown again...soon or later.

Most probably file browser (nemo) won't show that EFI partition on Devices ...
Nemo.png
You will need to mount it by example with Disks (Menu>Accessories>Disks) first.
Disks.png.

Then you can see that device on file browser bookmarks, get into it >EFI> remove those folders if they are present.

Post back sudo parted -l, sudo blkid and sudo efibootmgr -v in any case.
Thank you so much! Finally the linux entries were removed. Yes, the efibootmgr won't delete them it seems, it always reappears again. Only by accessing it I was able to delete.

Return to “Installation & Boot”