It is heck getting old

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
xinu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: It is heck getting old

Post by xinu »

Last edited by xinu on Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

At 61, I consider myself pretty lucky that I have no illnesses nor any medication.

This is probably partly due to a rather healthy lifestyle: I quit smoking at 23, do daily exercise, put lots of green stuff in my food (300 - 400 grammes of vegetables a day), and I have a good BMI: I'm almost as slender as I was at 25. About the only lifestyle risk I take are the two (occasionally three) glasses of red wine that I drink in the evening.

But the main factor is luck, I think. My mother lived healthier than I, and she was felled by cancer at 53. So "carpe diem", folks.... :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Had a call from my best friend of 30 years last week. His wife has been diagnosed with cancer of the uterus, has spread to the lymph nodes, also has a shadow on her lung. Operation next Thursday. Same age as me, 71, and it doesn't look good, devastating :(
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:42 am Had a call from my best friend of 30 years last week. His wife has been diagnosed with cancer of the uterus, has spread to the lymph nodes, also has a shadow on her lung. Operation next Thursday. Same age as me, 71, and it doesn't look good, devastating :(
I am so sorry to hear that, I will keep them in my thoughts.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

So sorry for you, Andy.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:35 am At 61, I consider myself pretty lucky that I have no illnesses nor any medication.

This is probably partly due to a rather healthy lifestyle: I quit smoking at 23, do daily exercise, put lots of green stuff in my food (300 - 400 grammes of vegetables a day), and I have a good BMI: I'm almost as slender as I was at 25. About the only lifestyle risk I take are the two (occasionally three) glasses of red wine that I drink in the evening.
I wish I had made smarter choices for a healthy lifestyle in my younger days.
Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:35 am But the main factor is luck, I think.
You might be right on that about the main factor is luck.

I've always believed when it's your time to move on to the next life you go.

I'm making smarter choices these days.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Andy - Iam also sorry to hear of your loss.

I lost my mother just this last December 16th. She complained of some pain and the doctors found out she had a growth on her pancreas that had also attached to her intestine. After a short while (I do not remember how long. It was quick though) it had spread to her lymph nodes. From that point it was pretty quick and we lost her.

My mother quit smoking way back when she was in her early 20s when she met my Dad. She did drink though.

I think I understand it like this about cancer:

As your body sheds cells it recreates them. However, Some cells when created are flawed and thus the body gets rid of those. However, As we get older this process does not catch them all and they become (or some of them) cancerous. It is weird because I know people that have smoked all their life and never developed cancer - and vise versa.

It seems to me that cancer is on the rise for some reason.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

I never dreamed I would make it to 50+. I use to keep and raise venomous snakes, and I go out every year to catch more to photograph. Maybe I'll try sky diving next
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks for the thoughts, she has not died yet. We will see what the doctors say after her operation.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
midigark
Level 2
Level 2

Post by midigark »

I often ask this question of people I've met, but after we get to know each other a little bit. While i am a fairly new person on this board, I've been a computer geek before the first desktops. (see below)

The question is, if you could have chosen your perfect age and health...
As an example, you are 28, still able to run a marathon, have no aches or pains and no medical issues...if you answered [YES] to the following question, you would remain the same physical age, same excellent health and be free of any mental/age issues.

"If offered, would you choose to live forever or not and why?"

I see from the above posts that the answers were already given to the unasked question. But, most of those were along the lines of as they are now, in their 60's to 80's, less than perfect health and consuming enough meds in the morning it qualifies as a "snack".

But, once again... "IF you could maintain that perfect age and health, would you choose to live forever or not and why?"

Here's my answer. An overwhelming [YES].
As for why. I would take the time (forever is a very, very long time) to learn every known, recorded and deciphered language.
I would study and assimilate every known branch of religion from ancient times to modern day.
I would study and receive every branch of knowledge, science/engineering/medicine/etc... and expand it until I received a PHD in each field.
Along the way, I would read every book, manuscript, research paper, dictionary including Encyclopedias, in all the worlds libraries, in each language as I learned them.
I would become proficient in all musical theory and every instrument available to mankind.

Thus armed, I would - at the end of all that - be the most prepared/informed/knowledgeable person that had ever lived on this Earth. I'd use modern computing techniques of the day, design a system that tied every piece of knowledge in the world together, in the hopes of answering all of the unknown issues and mysteries of history.

And one more thing...when the last day comes and the custodian of all things reaches for the switch to turn off the universe, I'm going to have a few questions... :lol:

For years, I've programmed, repaired, salvaged Mini-Mainframe computers - specifically:
Data General Nova 820, Jumbo
Data General Eclipse S-200/S-130/S-140 (Basically a Nova 4X
DEC PDP-8
Perkin Elmer 8/32

We are talking machines that loaded their "bootstrap" program from an ASR-33 Teletype or High Speed Paper Tape Reader, when no other form of I/O was working. Sometimes entering simple diagnostic loops from the front panel toggles. Using Interleaved core memory with R,W,R cycle times of 650 ns. Looking back at mainstay systems that ran off of a divided 10 MHz system clock using standard 7400 series logic and had a CPU clock of 2 MHz.

A Super-Mini (SEM-500) that I repaired boards for the EMI CT7070 CT Scanner ran at 50 MHz using 74$ series Schottkey logic.

While at the same time, the Cray-1* was still only 80 MHz, achieving this using ECL logic (Emitter Coupled Logic) that was a power hog and often needed to be water cooled.

*The Cray-1 used a Data General Eclipse line computer as a "job loader"/ Front Panel.
We did exactly the same with the SEM-500.
-
Suggested reading: Everything lol

The Soul of a New Machine - By Tracy Kidder
When H.A.R.L.I.E. Was One - By David Gerrold (also wrote for Star Trek - The Trouble with Tribbles among many other things)
The Many Colored Land - By Julian May (9 books in total)
Mark

5.15.0-102-generic
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Linux Mint 21.3
CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z / BIOS: 2201
FX-6300 3.56 GHz
G.SKILL 16GB
RTX 2070 SUPER
Re - 4TB
Blue - 2TB
HP V244h (2)
G15