LightDM - how to replace it with something else?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

LightDM - how to replace it with something else?

Post by DaveJones »

Hi all,
I just got a new laptop and I've decided not to import my old settings and conf files from the old computer and to start from scratch.

One of my priorities is to replace LightDM with something else. After years of using LM, LightDM has been the most unstable part of my install and definitely the biggest annoyance. It's just unstable, buggy, and quite honestly a massive POS. After waking up from suspend, about 40% of login attempts don't work and it also quite often locks up my screen. I've subscribed to these and a bunch of other issues on Github and none of the issues are getting resolved. It's as if it's abandonware.

Anyway, now that I got that off my chest, what should I replace it with? I've looked at alternatives but I'm not quite sure what to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LightDM - how to replace it with something else?

Post by SMG »

DaveJones wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pmAfter waking up from suspend, about 40% of login attempts don't work and it also quite often locks up my screen.
That is functionality handled by the screensaver/lockscreen. That is not LightDM functionality.

LightDM has been the standard in all Linux Mint installs (Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce) since LM19. If it was really as buggy/problematic as you claim, the Linux Mint team would have ditched it. That is not the case. In fact, it's pretty amazing that you are the only one having these problems with "LightDM".

What screensaver are you using?

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon”