Terminology Oldsters vs Youngsters

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Terminology Oldsters vs Youngsters

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 pm
BG405 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:49 pm Strewth I'd forgotten about those! I probably have one or more knocking around somewhere. But my mind's eye envisioned people trying to stuff CDs in them with their jewel cases .. and VHS cassettes, etc.. :mrgreen:
Jewel cases waste far too much space, especially the ones for DVDs. I use these storage cases and toss the original cases:

case 1.jpg

case 2.jpg
**DROOLS**

Where did you find that lovely thing
One of those cases holds 150 double sided hanging sleeves for a total of 300 optical discs (CD, DVD, BD). I have nine of those cases with the last two almost full (I keep my CDs in separate cases from my DVDs and BDs). I can store 300 CDs, DVDs, and BDs in the same amount of space 40 DVD cases take up.

Each disc gets a four digit reference number and I keep "lists" (actually, the folders I keep the rips and cover scans in) of everything so I can quickly find a disc by reference number (I have software I can use to generate a list of titles from the folders so I can print a booklet of what I have for when I dig through bargain bins and racks).
which software do you use?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:52 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 pm ...Jewel cases waste far too much space, especially the ones for DVDs. I use these storage cases and toss the original cases:

case 1.jpg

case 2.jpg
**DROOLS**

Where did you find that lovely thing...

Amazon was where I bought my latest one (it was the only place i could find one at the time). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ND ... UTF8&psc=1 This one, and similar ones, tend to go in and out of stock. You may be able to find similar ones elsewhere, such as Fleabay (aka eBay), possibly at a better price although durability may suffer (I bought my first two or three at Fry's Electronics umpteen years ago). These cases are also available in sizes that hold up to 1000 optical discs. The 300 discs ones are about as heavy as I care to lift when they are fully loaded (keep in mind I'm a handicapped flatulent geriatric).

TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:52 pm ...which software do you use?
A variety of them. When ripping a DVD or BD, I first assign a four digit reference number and write it onto the disc with an ultrafine Sharpie or paint pen, whichever shows up best. Then I remove the meta data (the case cover sheet with the title, artwork, etc.) from the DVD/BD case and scan it with my flatbed scanner. I use VueScan with my scanner since it doesn't have a Linux compatible driver. While scanning, I crop the single sheet to one page that has the front cover and the spine, then recrop it to a second page that has the back cover and spine, and save both to .jpg files. If there is data on the flip side of the cover sheet and/or there is also a booklet, I scan all of those. I also scan the label side of the disc itself. While the disk is ripping, I use Pix to clean up the images (usually, just sharpening up the image and auto-adjusting the contrast), then combine all the images into a single PDF using Qoppa PDF Studio Pro (it's overkill for the job but I already have it so why not use it?). When naming the PDF title, I preface it with the reference number of the disc and append whether it's a DVD or a BD (ex: 1043 Chicken Walk - DVD). I save the PDF into a folder where I keep all my movie PDFs in the Video folder.

To rip the disc, I use Make MKV. I'll spare you the details on the ripping process since there are plenty of YouTube videos. MakeMKV's website also has a user forum. when setting up the rip, I create a folder on one of my movie drives that has the name of the movie followed by the disc type, then the reference folder. I also instruct MakeMKV to save the ripped files to the new folder. After the ripping is finished, I cull any unwanted files and rename the keepers as needed.

I keep a separate master folder in the Videos folder to use as my media menu called Movies. I create a folder inside the Movies folder with the title of the movie, followed by the disc type and the reference number. I set the folder to List View and delete all but the Name column. I also zoom it all the way in so I can read the titles when displayed on my TV screen and I'm reading from my bed (I do the same to the Movies folder).

Once the movie ripping process is finished, I create a shortcut of the movies PDF and place it in the movies folder on the movie drive. Then I create a shortcut for each movie file and the PDF's shortcut (it's possible to nest shortcuts) and place them in the Movie folder I created in the master Movies folder. I also have a shortcut on my desktop that points to the master Movie folder.

To watch a movie, I uses a tailless rodent (wireless mouse) to click on the Movies folder short cut on my desktop. That gives me a "Menu" of all my movies (each listing is the name of a folder). I click on the movie I want to watch, then click on the file I want to watch. VLC is set to be the default player for various movie file types (.iso, .mkv, .webm, .mp4).

To make a list of my current movies, I use a program called FileListCreator to create a list of the folder (movie) names in the master Movies folder and save the list it generates as an .xlxs file. I open that file in LibreOffice Calc and sort the file names, then copy and past the list into a LibreOffice Writer document (I find Writer easier to format than Calc). After editing the list, mostly to cull any duplicate titles, I format it into a printable booklet compatible format and save it. I can either just keep the file only or I can print a booklet from it (a booklet comes in handy when digging through bargain bins and racks).

I use slightly different procedures to rip CDs but use the same software except I use Asunder instead of MakeMKV.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

Just yesterday I found a CD at Goodwill. Unfortunately I do not have a Linux machine with a CD/DVD player that works. Thankfully not difficult to get it from the Mac to Linux. Amazon has one for $20 that claims to work with Linux. If the last one I have on a mac dies I hope they still are selling them. I also have books with maybe 100 or so CD/DVDs each and a couple of spindles as well. Actually did find something from 20 years ago in one of those books the other day and brought it over via the one remaining mac drive. Kind of neat to see something that old continuing to be viable media on my current Mint machine.

No were near as organized with this stuff as Jeannie and I don't have any commercial DVD Movies moved over to the computer. Do have a lot of music from CDs though but just let first iTunes and now Audacity keep that organized for me.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

wwblm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:13 pm ...No were near as organized with this stuff as Jeannie...
That's because you're probably saner than I am. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I'd imagine just about any USB optical drive will do the job .. or a SATA/IDE internal one hooked up via a USB to SATA/IDE interface with its 12V power supply.

I need to fix the USB connector on my ancient LG one; or just wire in a fixed USB lead and forget about that dodgy Mini-USB trash.

As for being "organized" .. this is something I've tried to keep to since switching to Linux. But note that I'm probably rather less "sane" than Jeannie says she isn't .. :roll: :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:54 pm
TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:52 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 pm ...Jewel cases waste far too much space, especially the ones for DVDs. I use these storage cases and toss the original cases:

case 1.jpg

case 2.jpg
**DROOLS**

Where did you find that lovely thing...

Amazon was where I bought my latest one (it was the only place i could find one at the time). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ND ... UTF8&psc=1 This one, and similar ones, tend to go in and out of stock. You may be able to find similar ones elsewhere, such as Fleabay (aka eBay), possibly at a better price although durability may suffer (I bought my first two or three at Fry's Electronics umpteen years ago). These cases are also available in sizes that hold up to 1000 optical discs. The 300 discs ones are about as heavy as I care to lift when they are fully loaded (keep in mind I'm a handicapped flatulent geriatric).

A variety of them. When ripping a DVD or BD, I first assign a four digit reference number and write it onto the disc with an ultrafine Sharpie or paint pen, whichever shows up best. Then I remove the meta data (the case cover sheet with the title, artwork, etc.) from the DVD/BD case and scan it with my flatbed scanner. I use VueScan with my scanner since it doesn't have a Linux compatible driver. While scanning, I crop the single sheet to one page that has the front cover and the spine, then recrop it to a second page that has the back cover and spine, and save both to .jpg files. If there is data on the flip side of the cover sheet and/or there is also a booklet, I scan all of those. I also scan the label side of the disc itself. While the disk is ripping, I use Pix to clean up the images (usually, just sharpening up the image and auto-adjusting the contrast), then combine all the images into a single PDF using Qoppa PDF Studio Pro (it's overkill for the job but I already have it so why not use it?). When naming the PDF title, I preface it with the reference number of the disc and append whether it's a DVD or a BD (ex: 1043 Chicken Walk - DVD). I save the PDF into a folder where I keep all my movie PDFs in the Video folder.

To rip the disc, I use Make MKV. I'll spare you the details on the ripping process since there are plenty of YouTube videos. MakeMKV's website also has a user forum. when setting up the rip, I create a folder on one of my movie drives that has the name of the movie followed by the disc type, then the reference folder. I also instruct MakeMKV to save the ripped files to the new folder. After the ripping is finished, I cull any unwanted files and rename the keepers as needed.

I keep a separate master folder in the Videos folder to use as my media menu called Movies. I create a folder inside the Movies folder with the title of the movie, followed by the disc type and the reference number. I set the folder to List View and delete all but the Name column. I also zoom it all the way in so I can read the titles when displayed on my TV screen and I'm reading from my bed (I do the same to the Movies folder).

Once the movie ripping process is finished, I create a shortcut of the movies PDF and place it in the movies folder on the movie drive. Then I create a shortcut for each movie file and the PDF's shortcut (it's possible to nest shortcuts) and place them in the Movie folder I created in the master Movies folder. I also have a shortcut on my desktop that points to the master Movie folder.

To watch a movie, I uses a tailless rodent (wireless mouse) to click on the Movies folder short cut on my desktop. That gives me a "Menu" of all my movies (each listing is the name of a folder). I click on the movie I want to watch, then click on the file I want to watch. VLC is set to be the default player for various movie file types (.iso, .mkv, .webm, .mp4).

To make a list of my current movies, I use a program called FileListCreator to create a list of the folder (movie) names in the master Movies folder and save the list it generates as an .xlxs file. I open that file in LibreOffice Calc and sort the file names, then copy and past the list into a LibreOffice Writer document (I find Writer easier to format than Calc). After editing the list, mostly to cull any duplicate titles, I format it into a printable booklet compatible format and save it. I can either just keep the file only or I can print a booklet from it (a booklet comes in handy when digging through bargain bins and racks).

I use slightly different procedures to rip CDs but use the same software except I use Asunder instead of MakeMKV.
thanks
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

wwblm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:13 pm Just yesterday I found a CD at Goodwill. Unfortunately I do not have a Linux machine with a CD/DVD player that works. Thankfully not difficult to get it from the Mac to Linux. Amazon has one for $20 that claims to work with Linux. If the last one I have on a mac dies I hope they still are selling them. I also have books with maybe 100 or so CD/DVDs each and a couple of spindles as well. Actually did find something from 20 years ago in one of those books the other day and brought it over via the one remaining mac drive. Kind of neat to see something that old continuing to be viable media on my current Mint machine.

No were near as organized with this stuff as Jeannie and I don't have any commercial DVD Movies moved over to the computer. Do have a lot of music from CDs though but just let first iTunes and now Audacity keep that organized for me.
This one is working on my system

LG Electronics GP50NB40 8X USB 2.0 Slim Portable DVD Rewriter External Drive with M-DISC Support, Black
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I also have several of those external LG drives, and they work well.
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

Monochrome vs Black and White
Tube vs transistor
Tube tester

My first work computer was Monochrome. My second work computer and first personal computer were black and white. The monochrome monitor was either green or amber. I used both but very little memory remains. I truly can no longer even remember what my Lotus Symphony spreadsheets even looked like. I bought a mac with a black and white monitor for doing Desktop Publishing and that came with a spreadsheet called Microsoft Excel. Clearly I remember what that looked like;-)

The first TV I remember was Black and White and used tubes. Remember when any drug store you went into had a tub tester up front? Our TV was in a cabinet with like a little bookshelf below it. As a child, in the winter, I would curl up under that TV to absorb the heat and likely radiation coming off all those tubes! Our first transistor TV was Color! I remember my first pocket transistor radio. I think it had 8 transistors! Typing this on something with a transistor count in the Billions!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

wwblm wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am Monochrome vs Black and White
Tube vs transistor
Tube tester

My first work computer was Monochrome. My second work computer and first personal computer were black and white. The monochrome monitor was either green or amber. I used both but very little memory remains. I truly can no longer even remember what my Lotus Symphony spreadsheets even looked like. I bought a mac with a black and white monitor for doing Desktop Publishing and that came with a spreadsheet called Microsoft Excel. Clearly I remember what that looked like;-)

The first TV I remember was Black and White and used tubes. Remember when any drug store you went into had a tub tester up front? Our TV was in a cabinet with like a little bookshelf below it. As a child, in the winter, I would curl up under that TV to absorb the heat and likely radiation coming off all those tubes! Our first transistor TV was Color! I remember my first pocket transistor radio. I think it had 8 transistors! Typing this on something with a transistor count in the Billions!
I remember them all (not the Mac; just B&W monitors). I even remember using a TV for a monitor (wait, I still do, kinda sorta; make that sole monitor).
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

wwblm wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am Tube vs transistor
We called them valves and I was taught valve theory at university. The last course to do so.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm
wwblm wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am Tube vs transistor
We called them valves and I was taught valve theory at university. The last course to do so.
When you get down to the brass bananas, they work like a valve so calling them valves make sense, more sense than tubes since the envelopes look more like a deep cup than a tube. Not all valves, tubes, whatever had glass envelopes, either. The military preferred ones with metal envelopes instead of glass ones (something about glass not liking being shot at? :wink: ).

I miss the filament glow from them, especially the big mercury vapor rectifier tubes, valves, whatever.
Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

A couple of days ago, "Can you fix valve radios?"
"Yes, maybe."
So in came this radio, plastic case, three knobs. Off with the knobs, 2 screws at the back, Ohm meter between the output valve's plate and the supply capacitor. Yes, open circuit. Power on to check and yes the audio transformer is open circuit.
The radio a Bell Colt and probably the first of the many I fixed would be over 60 years ago and yes, the audio transformer primary would go open circuit. Unfortunately a "chuck-it" as it is unlikely that a suitable transformer could be found.

They definitely had valves as did all valve radios. There was a transistor radio, Pacemaker, wooden case, also designed and made in this country. It had an RF stage so was good for radio stations a few hundred miles away in the daytime.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm they work like a valve so calling them valves make sense, more sense than tubes since the envelopes look more like a deep cup than a tube
.. Or a bulb, with some early ones (I have one or two here). :wink:

Glad you said it, saved me having to!
AndyMH wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm The last course to do so.
You are fortunate to have caught that. I've had no formal education with valves; had to practically work out in my own mind how they function, only getting a good idea after the advent of the Internet then YouTube etc. and reading and watching lots of stuff.

I sort of get it now. :mrgreen:
RollyShed wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm it is unlikely that a suitable transformer could be found
That is a shame. Hopefully someone near to you might offer an option to rewind it? Audio transformers are usually fairly straightforward in the scheme of things.

I had a LOPT done a few years back which had shorted during restoration of the television. Not cheap, but these sets are becoming rarer. Plus, in my case, the television was already producing a quite fantastic picture once I'd got the timebases sorted and yoke/magnet alignment done; hadn't even started on the signal stages.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

BG405 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 amI've had no formal education with valves; had to practically work out in my own mind how they function, only getting a good idea after the advent of the Internet then YouTube etc. and reading and watching lots of stuff.
I built my first radio, Hikers 1, back in about 1954. It was a kitset one valve and had a very low voltage battery to run it, somewhere about 30 volts (the diagram says 9 volts) from a dry battery.
https://www.peeblesoriginals.com/projec ... -radio.php
And the circuit of what looks like the version I had -
https://www.peeblesoriginals.com/projec ... erkits.jpg
The dry battery had clips on it for the different voltages, the same as shown on the back of the chassis board in the picture. I made a compartment under that board that the battery would slide into and the battery's contacts made contact with the clips so no need to wire things up to get going.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

The first radio I built was a crystal radio I built entirely from scratch, except for the 1n34 diode, back when I was in grade school. I don't remember what I used to tune it but I wound the coil on a piece of shellacked wood and used el cheapo headphones and a makeshift long wire antenna. The next one was a Heathkit my parents gave me in spring of '64 that my parents though would keep me busy all summer after school let out for the summer; I finished it in two weeks before school let out.

My next radio adventure was playing with a rack of Command Set radios; military radios used in aircraft. After checking out the Army/Navy surplus stores for them with my Daddy (I was in high school by then) and finding only overpriced ones in horrible condition, I noticed some Navy fighter planes in a lot the next block over by the airport so we went over their and asked if we could look around. We found a rack of three in one that was in pristine condition so we asked how much. Ten bucks if we pulled them out ourselves. Methinks we set a record for pulling them out.

Each of the three radios (low frequency below the AM broadcast band, VH band where most Hams operated, and UHF bands) were powered by a Dynamotor, a rotary converter that was powered by 28v DC and put out 250v DC. I yanked the dynamotors and replaced them with a power supply with a transformer and selenium rectifiers, chokes, and capacitors (aka condensers back then) I salvaged from discarded TVs from behind a nearby TV repair shop. Most of the tubes (valves for our friends across the pond), all with metal envelopes, needed to be replaced; they got replaced with glass tubes. I used two of the radios for DSLing (long distance listening) and the low frequency radio for a Q-fiver, a radio with an extremely narrow bandwidth, courtesy of a crystal filter, that could separate signals that were very close to each other and was connected to the back of the IF of the other radios. It was so selective, I could tune through the sides bands and carrier of an AM signal like they were separate signals. That was when I finally convinced my Daddy to let me put a folded dipole up on the roof.

I don't remember what happened to them after I left home for college.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Tapes (reel to reel) vs 8 track vs Cassette, vs CD. I had them all at one point. My dad gave me an old reel to reel player, and I made tapes of my favorite albums for it. Had an 8 track in the car until it got replaced by a Cassette and later a CD player.

Monitors= Green and black, Orange and black, CGA color, EGA Color, VGA Color. I remember going from the color IBM PCjr monitor, to a Green monitor with the Zenith Z-151, then "upgrading" to an Orange and black monitor before getting a color monitor again later on down the road.

Return to “Open Chat”