[SOLVED] Grub Updated - Now no Grub Screen?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dotnetrob
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Grub Updated - Now no Grub Screen?

Post by dotnetrob »

Was dual booting Mint 21.3 and Windows 11. Finally made the move to remove windows. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Did an sudo update-grub after removing the windows partitions and it removed the windows entries from the grub config.

System boots just fine, but now I have no grub menu. Which I understand, only 1 OS now. But I had used the Advanced options a number of times to get back into my linux environment after I messed up things. I'm still learning... Is there another route to booting to one of the advanced recovery modes when I mess up my linux instance again... or is there a way to get grub menu to show up with just Mint and Advanced options?
Last edited by dotnetrob on Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Grub Updated - Now no Grub Screen?

Post by MiZoG »

Press Esc at boot time to bring up Grub menu (this is for a UEFI-capable system which is what you must have since you mentioned dual boot with Win 11)

For a permanent fix:
xed admin:///etc/default/grub
find and edit the line GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden to GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
and set the line GRUB_TIMEOUT= to your liking. Example GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 will boot you automatically to Linux Mint (or default OS) 5 secs after grub menu appears on your screen.
Save. Execute sudo update-grub in Terminal. Reboot.
dotnetrob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Grub Updated - Now no Grub Screen?

Post by dotnetrob »

Excellent. I was able to get to the menu by hitting Esc. I was also able to add the style/timeout logic to the grub.cfg. Both solutions work great. Decided to leave the change in the grub.cfg. Thanks.

set timeout_style=menu
set timeout=10

MiZoG wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:05 pm Press Esc at boot time to bring up Grub menu (this is for a UEFI-capable system which is what you must have since you mentioned dual boot with Win 11)

For a permanent fix:
xed admin:///etc/default/grub
find and edit the line GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden to GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
and set the line GRUB_TIMEOUT= to your liking. Example GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 will boot you automatically to Linux Mint (or default OS) 5 secs after grub menu appears on your screen.
Save. Execute sudo update-grub in Terminal. Reboot.

Return to “Installation & Boot”