Update manager-unrelated downloads

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alfie_ca
Level 2
Level 2

Update manager-unrelated downloads

Post by Alfie_ca »

I have Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon - Ubuntu 22.04 jammy. I am diligently trying to keep it up to date.
Over time the update list is getting longer and longer - getting out of hand
Why am I getting downloads and updates for KDE when I do have Cinnamon, and 1GB flatpak upgrade when old version to upgrade is not even listed?
The Update manager should first check what version is installed, concentrate on that, and not include unnecessary crap, just in case i need it?
How am I to know what is any of that other stuff, how do I know I do not need it when Update manager just pops it on?
Thank you for any enlightenment :-)
Alfie-ca
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Update manager-unrelated downloads

Post by spamegg »

Hello alfie_ca welcome to the Forum.
Please share your system info by going to:
Menu/System Reports/System Information/click "Copy"
and pasting it here.
(You can use the command inxi -Fxxxmprz on the Terminal.)

There is nothing wrong with Update Manager.
This is just how Flatpak works, unfortunately.
Update Manager cannot interfere with the inner workings of Flatpak.
Flatpak is a separate mechanism not maintained by Mint.

You get KDE updates on Cinnamon, because some Flatpak app you installed has a KDE dependency.
You will get several GBs updates, but only a small part of that needs to be downloaded, as far as I know.
Flatpak really sucks when it comes to file size and accurately telling you what's going on.
That's just how it is. It sucks. (I don't use it)
Alfie_ca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Alfie_ca »

Hi Spamegg,
thank you for your explanation, much appreciate it, and sort of understand it :-)
I did not install 1GB Flatpak runtime yet and will just dismiss it all together in the future.
I am not even sure that I have any flatpak program.
Will see what, if anything will stop working to reconsider.
Again thanks, stay safe
Alfie_ca
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

You should probably get the updates just for the security.
I didn't mean to turn you away from getting updates, sorry if it came out wrong.

If you share the system information, we can see if you have Flatpaks installed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Alfie_ca wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 am ... I did not install 1GB Flatpak runtime yet and will just dismiss it all together in the future.
I am not even sure that I have any flatpak program....
You may not have installed the flatpak runtimes but if you installed a flatpak it would have been installed along with the program. All portable software installe runtime librariess.

To see what flatpaks and runtimes you have run this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo flatpak list
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”