[Solved] Is it good to dualboot on the same hard drive?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux_Mint_Good5483
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Is it good to dualboot on the same hard drive?

Post by Linux_Mint_Good5483 »

I have been told NOT to dualboot on the same drive because it could really "f*** up windows" and that it would either break windows or it would just start overwriting things. Is this true or is that just some people being unreliable/unreasonable/using different linux distros?
Last edited by Linux_Mint_Good5483 on Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
what am I doing with my life
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is it good to dualboot on the same hard drive?

Post by dave0808 »

It's certainly possible to dual-boot on the same drive. There are plenty of guides out there explaining how to do it.

Use Windows' Disk Manager to shrink your partition to make enough space for Linux and disable fastboot. Then the installer will see the space and offer to install there alongside Windows.

When you boot, you'll see GRUB offering you options to boot Linux Mint or Windows (among some other "advanced" options).

Using separate storage is better in so far as it lets you keep the 2 separate and you could potentially move the storage with Linux into another PC/laptop.

If you are concerned and have a large enough USB hard drive, you could use a disc imaging tool to do a complete backup of your hard drive first.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Linux_Mint_Good5483 wrote:it could really "f*** up windows" and that it would either break windows or it would just start overwriting things
It is actually the opposite: Windows can render Linux non-bootable especially when major Windows build upgrades show up and make changes to EFI/ESP partition used by both OSes in modern PCs. But this is not quite the problem with Windows 10 any longer which does not receive major upgrades but with Windows 11.
Linux and Linux Mint in particular takes all the precautions to co-exist harmoniously with Windows unless you intentionally delete Windows partitions at installation.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

There are at least two reasons for the "W." system.

1. Some laptops have a dedicated "W." restore button.
This button will not work if you write the beginning of the disk with GRUB.
Maybe this can be bypassed by booting/using the bootloader "W."
But I'm not sure, it's not standard. I don't know of any rules governing the use of the "W" bootloader.
If it even exists, because users usually have to use external programs.

2. Installing the system is sometimes difficult. You need to prepare and format at least one partition. If you make a mistake, you may have formatted the wrong disk or the wrong partition. If you remove the disk, that disk is safe.
This is useful for beginners who don't know what to click.

3. Until recently, not every Linux distribution supported UEFI and GPT.
If you want both UEFI and Legacy or GPT and msdos, it's best to have two drives.
Then you can switch what you need via BIOS/UEFI.

4. I confirm. The coexistence of such very different systems can be difficult.
Sometimes a major update to one can break the launch of the other.

5. Security.
Or if one is damaged, the system will be functional on the other disk.
It's not even about the system. If one disk is damaged, you have a second disk. And with working system :mrgreen:
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Discussion on this same topic a few days ago viewtopic.php?t=416387

Return to “Beginner Questions”