Desktop changed to Ubuntu after AWN

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ostatenk

Desktop changed to Ubuntu after AWN

Post by ostatenk »

I'm kind of new to the linux world and I decided to give Mint 8 KDE a shot after briefly experimenting with Ubunut 9.10. I've run into the same problem twice. I installed Avant Windows Navigator and after restarting, my KDE desktop no longer loads and it looks alot like the ubuntu desktop. It still has all of the programs from mint installed and most of the customizations that I made to the windows are still there. It's just as if KDE changed to gnome and my wallpaper went away. I removed AWN and all of the broken packages as well. Is there a way for me to go back to how it looked before AWN or should I re-re-install it? I'd hate to reinstall because my cd player is rarely recognized in the bios, but that's a whole different problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
XeroXer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Desktop changed to Ubuntu after AWN

Post by XeroXer »

Let's see if I got this right:
After you install Avant Windows Manager on the Linux Mint 8 KDE edition the whole "OS" turns to look like the Gnome desktop?

Can you at the login screen change the session type to KDE? If it has been changed to Gnome or any other?
I don't know why this would happens but maybe the gnome desktop got installed with Avant and became the default session.
From the Gates of Hell
ostatenk

Post by ostatenk »

You nailed it. Thank you so much. I'm back in business. I guess the next logical question would be is there any kind of launcher similar to Avant Windows Manager that is KDE compatible.
XeroXer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XeroXer »

From my google results I can see AWN is for the most part KDE-compatible, but some parts (like trash) will not work.
I think the problem is that AWN has a lot of gnome dependencies and when installing AWN you got so much gnome that it became the default session. :)

I haven't used KDE much myself so can't suggest any other dock-like application but if you really like AWN and don't feel the need to use the trash and such, then try using AWN and selecting the right session.
From the Gates of Hell
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

Have you try GLX dock / cairo dock instead? :-)
http://www.glx-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=F ... ry&lang=en
ostatenk

Post by ostatenk »

Thanks again for helping out. I tried each launcher and I think I like cairo a little better. I wasn't aware there were other options. More proof that I have more learning to do, says the guy who reinstalled his OS when all I needed to do is change sessions. :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”