How do I remove "Unlock Keyring" message at bootup/

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shayney

Re: How do I remove "Unlock Keyring" message at bootup/

Post by shayney »

Well in my case, I have stopped getting the keyring popup for my wireless connection so I can have that start automatically. I don't know why it stopped since I haven't done anything different.
It still pops up for evolution though.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It still pops up for evolution though.
Yes I know that, and I don't think there's much to do about it....
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Husse - that's Ok - i added this as s idenote. also wasn't sure what you wanted to know. I was just posting all available issues at present.

the keyring issue ir a random situation - More than not - so it happens quite a bit - no real correlation to anything that I can see.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

No - it's not one of these ugly random errors
This is a new topic about it - perhaps some ideas for you there
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=24357
shayney

Post by shayney »

After I did a fresh install recently, I found I had no problems with the wireless keyring, I just entered my user password and the thing hasn't come up since.
Unfortunately I've tried evolution again only to find it still insists on throwing up the keyring dialog.

I'm wanting to move away from kontact/kmail to something gnome based since that is the only remaining kde app I use but looks like it's not gonna happen :o(
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

Hi i had a the same problem as the above people with the login request at startup

For me its because i am using a Usb wireless Internet connection (through my home router).

changing from the auto login to the manual one has solved this for me .

I am hoping that its also going to solve my Internet (via Usb yes i am using Ndiswraper )just dying after a period of inactivity.
I was thinking that this might be because of the user no longer having rights to establish a connection.
I'm guessing that these key rings have a timer, i am basing this on that every time i try to reconnect i got the request for the wireless wpa2 key .

anyway i am not chasing any responses just thought id post that this was helpful
if i have no more connection timed out over the next day or so ill post back that everything is now hunkey dorey .

its only been a few hours but its looking good , even managed to reconnect to my wireless with out rebooting Linux.
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

I finally got rid of this annoying habit on my Linux Mint 7 laptop (I edited each of my saved wireless connections, and clicked the "[ ] enable for all users" box...) and, I agree -- it is a bug. ...further, another issue disappeared when I got this cleared up: when I was getting that dialog all the time, I was only able to connect to one WPA2 network (only the first one I configured, others would never connect!). I could connect to any number of open wireless networks, but not more than one WPA2 protected network. Both this problem, and the one cited in first post in this thread, disappeared for me once I edited my wireless connections and clicked that box.
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

I had the same problem, which was an enormous inconvenience since I primarily access the box in question via ssh/vnc. If I needed to reboot or there was a power failure, et cetera, I could not ssh into it, as it would not autoconnect to the network. Checking off enable all users worked beautifully. Thanks, it saved me a lot of stress :lol:.
Hicham

Post by Hicham »

Her is method how to solve this:

1- go to Terminal mode:

2- cd .gnome2/keyrings/

3- you will find two files : default and default.keyring
+ make a backup # mv default.keyring default.keyring-bak

4- now start your Evolution...

5- you will get popup screen to enter your mail password

6- the second popup screen will ask for the default keyring:
+ leave the password boxes empty (no password)
+ click create button
+ select unsafe storage option

7- That's it. :D

//Hicham
sionghua

Post by sionghua »

default and default.keyring have been removed. Upon logout and login again it asked me for wireless password, that's it. Upon restart it asks me for keyring password again. Does not work for me.
spelingchampeon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spelingchampeon »

sionghua wrote:default and default.keyring have been removed. Upon logout and login again it asked me for wireless password, that's it. Upon restart it asks me for keyring password again. Does not work for me.
This worked for me on LM 10. I do not use wireless, but whenever I tried to login remotely, I was hit with the keyring. Just put your regular user password in, then leave the 'new' blank. Give this a try:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1583830&page=3

Return to “Beginner Questions”