Different panel for Mint 9???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

To use a new panel, or not to use a new panel.......THAT is the question.

Yes, use a new panel
75%
No, use the old panel
25%

Total votes: 44

Kendall

Different panel for Mint 9???

Post by Kendall »

I've had a couple of requests to consider using a different panel for the Mint 9 Fluxbox edition. Honestly I can't entirely disagree as the stock Fluxbox panel is rather dated looking and has rather limited functionality when compared with some of the other offerings.

There are a few options here: the Xfce panel is installed by default in the Fluxbox edition and it isn't difficult to have it working very nicely. The LXDE panel has some good plugins and is easily configured. And then there's tint2, which is why I really made this post in the first place as it's highly configurable, very easy to work with, and rather good looking.

Tint2 is very commonly used in Openbox setups and has a very good list of features. It's also very light. This would be my first choice when dealing with something like this.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zocko

Re: Different panel for Mint 9???

Post by Zocko »

Sorry I'm a bit new and a bit slow but what do I click on to see what the "panel" is please.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Zocko wrote:Sorry I'm a bit new and a bit slow but what do I click on to see what the "panel" is please.
The panel is the thing at the bottom of the screen that has the task bar (the buttons with the running applications), the desktop switcher, the system tray, the clock... and in the KDE and Gnome editions the menu as well.
Zocko

Post by Zocko »

Thanks Shane, I did do a quick click on things and a quick search but thought it quicker to just ask. Anyhow as its the thing at the bottom of the screen, isn't that just a rectangular bar that when you click on it you can add things or take them away and can re-arrange them and also change its colour with the themes. So what would be changed if it were in Mint 9.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I was using tint2 in Crunchbang for the last two weeks and it was a joy to use =] anything I wanted all I had to do was type it into the config file ahhhh heaven :lol:
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

@Zocko

Since a picture is worth a thousand words... here is a comparison of Fluxbox

http://images.google.ro/images?q=fluxbo ... =en&tab=wi

vs Tint2

http://images.google.ro/images?q=tint2& ... =en&tab=wi

Google for Tint2 to understand its capabilities more.
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

There probably should of been a "I dont really care option". But if you are going to change it my vote is for Tint2. :D
xazax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xazax »

I used to use tint2 in crunchbang and it was great. My vote is for tint2 too.
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

tint2 looks nice

I'm off to stick it on my flux install now, will feedback later.

Edit: it's now later. I must say, I like tint2 a LOT 8)
reed

Post by reed »

I use tint2 with openbox on my Arch Linux box. It's great. I would definitely love to see it utilized.

(And FWIW, Mint Fluxbox is the only distro other than Arch that warrants a place on one of my machines. Thanks!)
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

markfiend wrote: I must say, I like tint2 a LOT 8)
To expand further, I like the configurability (is that a word? :lol:) of tint2, together with conky (and have you thought of sticking conky in the default fluxbox install Kendall? Fluxbox and conky seem made for each other) are a great pair of tools for a fluxbox install.

I know the default fluxbox panel is fairly configurable, but it is a bit old-fashioned in a strange way.

As always with Linux though, it's a case of personal preference. ;)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

markfiend wrote:and have you thought of sticking conky in the default fluxbox install Kendall? Fluxbox and conky seem made for each other
Conky IS installed by default. :wink:
Mr_Shifty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mr_Shifty »

Kendall wrote:
markfiend wrote:and have you thought of sticking conky in the default fluxbox install Kendall? Fluxbox and conky seem made for each other
Indeed it is. You can see it in this screenshot of Mint 8 Fluxbox on my laptop:

I've dabbled with conky in the past, but I like how Kendall configured it in this release, so I added it to my ~/.fluxbox/startup so that it runs all the time. 8)
The Linux Critic
Once a computer beat me in chess, but it was no match for me in kickboxing.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I like the modest fluxbox taskbar; however, if you intend to replace it then my vote is for tint2.

john
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Mr_Shifty wrote:I like how Kendall configured it in this release, so I added it to my ~/.fluxbox/startup so that it runs all the time.
I used the same .conkyrc from Mint 6 Fluxbox, so Shane is to thank for that.
OU812 wrote:I like the modest fluxbox taskbar; however, if you intend to replace it then my vote is for tint2.
Just feeling out the situation at the moment. No decisions just yet.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I wonder if you could set things up so that when slim boots you could choose between fluxbox + fluxbox panel and fluxbox + tint2.

john
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

Kendall wrote:
Oh. :lol:

I could have sworn I had to apt-get it. My memory is like one of those things with all the holes in... :wink:
wellser

Post by wellser »

I'm all for tint2... didn't know what it was until I read this thread yesterday. Installed it to check it out and love it. I didn't know how much the stock panel irritated me until I saw the beautiful (and beautifully customizable) tint2... no more fluxbox panel for me.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

+1 for tint2 !
Beware though, as this thread might lead to the conclusion that we need to migrate Fluxbox CE to Openbox :mrgreen:
Mr_Shifty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mr_Shifty »

Ew... I see that my desire to leave the default Fluxbox panel alone is in a fairly deep minority. :oops:

Am I really one of only two people here that thinks the default panel in Fluxbox is just fine?
The Linux Critic
Once a computer beat me in chess, but it was no match for me in kickboxing.

Return to “Software & Applications”