The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Landmouse

Re: The status of Mint Fluxbox CE

Post by Landmouse »

I am also running the RC of Helena FB, and this is included already. When I open /home/<my home>/.fluxbox/keys, this is the fourth line from the bottom:

Mod1 F3 :ExecCommand /usr/bin/sbt

I hope this helps!
agwblack

Post by agwblack »

Thanks Landmouse. I put that in and it works great. I must have deleted accidentally. That said, I did notice that the keybindings gui (which appears to generate the keys file in .fluxbox) seemed to have some slightly scrambled entries with some odd characters present, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Unfortunately, I tend to get too absorbed in what I'm doing to think to check the battery, and have already had the battery on my computer die on me twice! So I installed the xfce4-battery-plugin, which I then put onto the xfce4-panel. Seems to do the job fine.

Thanks again Kendall for all your work on this edition - I look forward to the final release!
wlake

Post by wlake »

Sorry, just had to post a screenshot of my MintFlux CE. What an amazing distro. XFCE4 panel.
Screenshot.png
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

The XFCE4 panel seems to be fairly popular. It looks good, love the color scheme.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Hello,

First, congrats to all of you who are making such a great job developing the Fluxbox CE !
I'd like to share with you some thoughts about the mint-fm2 menu system.
  • I think it is not a very good idea to hardcode the top-level menu entries.
    What if I want to change my file manager or my terminal emulator ?
    Or keep the mintUpdate & mintConfig insinde the System submenu ?
    I'll have to go and edit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mint-fm2/rootgen and force the menu to regenerate ! Not very user friendly...
    IMHO all of these should be put in ~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries to allow users to easily override it.
  • I also think that it would be nice to remove the dependency to the mint-fluxbox-default-settings package,
    so that users can upgrade their menu regardless of their distribution.
    I have to stick to Elyssa, since the Hardy Heron is the only Ubuntu version in which I managed to run jackd properly, and it was kind of a hassle to upgrade to the latest version of mint-fm2.
  • And what about a "Wine" category as in the main edition ?
Thank you again for this wonderful distro ! :D
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

ju1ius wrote:I think it is not a very good idea to hardcode the top-level menu entries.
What if I want to change my file manager or my terminal emulator ?
Or keep the mintUpdate & mintConfig insinde the System submenu ?
I'll have to go and edit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mint-fm2/rootgen and force the menu to regenerate ! Not very user friendly...
Well, user friendliness is strived for, but can't always be had. This is actually a pretty good idea and I'll look into something like this for Mint 9.
ju1ius wrote:I also think that it would be nice to remove the dependency to the mint-fluxbox-default-settings package
Which version do you have, the most recent versions of the package don't have mfds as a dependency.
ju1ius wrote:And what about a "Wine" category as in the main edition ?
I might be able to get this done in an update. Thanks for the suggestion.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Kendall wrote:Which version do you have, the most recent versions of the package don't have mfds as a dependency.
Ah, sorry I should have checked that ! :mrgreen:
The package I tried to install was one of the first pre-releases for CE 8 version I think, and since I patched the scripts I've been updating it by copy-pasting the relevant parts of the code...
Anyway, thanks for your listening !
Landmouse

Post by Landmouse »

Any word from Clem on the ETA of the final release? Not that I'm impatient or anything... :wink:
Just an FYI, I've been playing with a couple of the other versions of Linux Mint, and FB is still my favorite!
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@Landmouse: You mean this:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... luxbox.iso

The official announcement probably won't until later today or tomorrow.
Landmouse

Post by Landmouse »

Sweet!
*does happy dance*
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Landmouse wrote:*does happy dance*
Pics???
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

*also does happy dance*

Is there a recommended transition route from the RC to the final release? Or if I've done all the updates will it be the same?

EDIT: never mind, I just read this post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 08#p239808
Landmouse

Post by Landmouse »

Kendall wrote:Pics???

Edit: We can grab the md5 from http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... md5sum.txt
For those who (like me) fall into the "lazy" category, the md5 == 1b2f311199d2d0d7f5fc431d0252e824 :wink:
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Kendall wrote:
Landmouse wrote:*does happy dance*
Pics???
Or it didn't happen :lol:

[edit]... aaargh... reflex post... didn't notice the next page... that was a fail...

P.S. Nice moves :D

and Congrats Kendall!
Zorklat DeOrc

Post by Zorklat DeOrc »

I have it installed, and so far, so good. Still exploring. One thing I most certainly miss, though, is the "update all" button on Synaptic. <sigh>
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I had some free time this afternoon so I started rewriting some of the system tools. First on the list is a much nicer Mouse Settings application. I probably won't get it finished today, but I should have an update out sometime next week. It's written in Python using fixed layout PyGTK (unlike most other Mint tools where Glade is the weapon of choice). I didn't see any reason to make it more complex than that.

Mr_Shifty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mr_Shifty »

Awesome! Disabling the touchpad is one of those things that nobody ever seems to effectively accomplish. :)
The Linux Critic
Once a computer beat me in chess, but it was no match for me in kickboxing.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This should be in main too
Kendall tell Clem about it :)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I have about 10 more minutes of work in the actual application, then I need to package it and run a few tests.

I'll let Clem know.

EDIT: Package is built, testing now.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Update is in the repo.

Return to “Software & Applications”