file copy in nautilus over gvfs-smb memory leak[launchpad]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarvinFS

file copy in nautilus over gvfs-smb memory leak[launchpad]

Post by MarvinFS »

Recently installed mint8 on my acer travelmate 3210 instead of winxp. (i had no issues on winxp with network perf. or file copying)

Overview:
Trying to copy files (several dirs overall about 40GB, movies, mp3z, pics, etc) with drag and drop in nautilus from my home PC (winxp sp3) by gvfsd-smb... small dirs and files (containing about 4GB) are copied just fine, but when trying to copy large dirs (about 20GB) it just stucks and nautilus experiencing memory leak (starting to consume all avail RAM and CPU usage is 100%)
also file copy dialog is not appearing, it shows some crappy small icon instead. see attached screens

Steps to reproduce:
try to copy by drag and drop directory size of 20GB+ from remote windows password protected smb share.

Additional materials:
first screen dropped large dir about 20GB of data to my mint's docs folder, notice the CPU and MEMORY usage gpaphs, also note red maked icon.
second screen ended nautilus with task manager notice the CPU and MEMORY usage gpaphs reduction.
third screen shows that krusader copied those dirs just file.

Hope to solve it some how.

Screeen1
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3471/screenshotz.jpg

Screen2
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5498 ... hot1gu.jpg

Screen3
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6484 ... shot2e.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cilic

Re: file copy in nautilus over gvfs-smb memory leak?!

Post by cilic »

Same Problem. Is there any solvation?
MarvinFS

Post by MarvinFS »

nop still no solution found, tried mint's bug reports - no answer.
cilic

Post by cilic »

just installed 'gnome-commander' as an alternative, witch works fine.
Alternatively cp -r -v works also

an nautilus fix would be fine too

btw i was just copying 15gb from fat32 to ntfs, same problem with bigger files from fat32 to fat32
MarvinFS

Post by MarvinFS »

i filled bug report on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/491714
but had no answer on that, may be something already changed try to update using mint update to see if it'll help.
pawel

Re: file copy in nautilus over gvfs-smb memory leak[launchpad]

Post by pawel »

I have the same problem on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. It happens when I try to copy or delete a large number of files. It didn't happen some time ago.
Husse

Post by Husse »

MarvinFS I have responded on Launchpad
I think this is a mix of bug and support question so I intend to try to find a solution not only to you but some other(s) with the same or a similar problem
This will unfortunately take time
MarvinFS

Post by MarvinFS »

Thank you for your efforts!
Mintbil
Level 1
Level 1

Re: file copy in nautilus over gvfs-smb memory leak[launchpa

Post by Mintbil »

Greetings,
i have the same issue on all my computers. Already thought its an issue with my suse server but now i know better. Hope this will be fixed soon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”