Virtual HDD size

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ers1121

Virtual HDD size

Post by ers1121 »

Good Morning,
I have Mint 8 installed with Mint4Win (updated from Mint 7) it has been working flawlessly for several months. I am now getting a message that my HDD (the virtual Mint 7 one) is low on space. I installed it using the default setting for the HDD 8GB I think. Is there any way to increase the size without reinstalling? It just works so good that I don't want to take a chance of reinstalling and something screwing up. I have moved any pictures & music to a shared Windows folder but it is still low on space, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Virtual HDD size

Post by proxima_centauri »

I've never used Wubi, but maybe this will be of some assistance -> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%2 ... l%20disks?
piratesmack

Re: Virtual HDD size

Post by piratesmack »

If you're comfortable using the terminal, you can use dd and resize2fs to add space to your disk image

From a Linux Mint live cd, you can do something like:

Code: Select all

# log in as root
sudo -i

mkdir -p /mnt/windows

# mount Windows partition
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdaX /mnt/windows

cd /mnt/windows/mint/disks

# back up root.disk just in case
cp root.disk root.disk.bak

# Add 2048MB (2GB) to root.disk (you can replace the 2048 with whatever you want)
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=2048 >> root.disk

# Extend the filesystem
resize2fs root.disk

Return to “Installation & Boot”