Tried Fedora 12 yet?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Tried Fedora 12 yet?

Post by linuxviolin »

dwflo wrote:Fedora 10 was the last version that was usable, 11 and 12 gave me networking headaches due to selinux.
You should not use SELinux. It's for people who administer one or more Linux servers for the NSA, the Army, the Department of Defense or something like that, or a server database for a Swiss bank... :roll: :lol: not for a normal user. You should disable it., like I did it in CentOS, and everything should be good. :)
Last edited by linuxviolin on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
lasher1

Post by lasher1 »

MaddogF16 wrote:"open as root"?
*slaps self on forehead*

Are you kidding me? All this time I've been opening a terminal, -su, and then moving the files? I could have just clicked "open as root?" Wow, I just tried this little feature out...pretty nifty.
salmagory

Post by salmagory »

How do I install Fedora 11 to duel boot with vista? I have everything backed up, and I partitioned my hard drive. I was thinking that I could boot off of the Fedora 11 dvd, and install it to the partition that I made, and it will detect vista. Would that work?
Last edited by salmagory on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

salmagory wrote:How do I install Fedora 11 to duel boot with vista? I have everything backed up, and I partitioned my hard drive. I was thinking that I could boot off of the Fedora 11 dvd, and install it to the partition that I made, and it will detect vista. Would that work?
A couple points:

1. Would this question not be better asked in the Fedora forum? It is not "wrong" to post it here, but seeing as you have a grand total of 1 whole post in this community, and of course hoping you are not a future spammer, why would you not ask a Fedora question in the Fedora forum?

2. I might rethink installing F11. Fedora has a ~6 month release cycle. It is their policy to carry the former distro until the next release. This means that F11 was released spring 2009. It was the active distro until fall 2009 when F12 came out. F11 is still supported until F13 comes out in May. Once F13 is released F11 will go EOL or end of life within a month. This means you would need to upgrade F11 or be unsupported (people do run unsupported.)

As far as your question goes; just burn the Fedora ISO to a DVD and boot it. The Fedora live CDs will run live (of course :roll: ) but the full DVD is installer only. Anaconda will recognize the Vista partition automatically, you should have no problems.

One word of caution though, be careful of doing the default partitioning scheme. It will automatically use up your full drive except the Vista partition and it will force LVM on you. If you do not want LVM (and who does?) then you will need to choose the custom partition option.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

nukm wrote:There is no money in desktop and besides, the desktop box is nearly dead. It is a relic.

Of course, just present your opinion as tho it were fact, that the way to do it. *sarcasm*

You've been reading too many articles espousing this whole "cloud" crap. Just assuming you are right does not make it so. People still prefer to be in control of, and have full and immediate access to their stuff. If your net goes down, no stuff. Not to mention, this all chews up the net quota. You really didn't think this thru before pushing your opinion as fact, did you?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

salmagory wrote:How do I install Fedora 11 to duel boot with vista? I have everything backed up, and I partitioned my hard drive. I was thinking that I could boot off of the Fedora 11 dvd, and install it to the partition that I made, and it will detect vista. Would that work?
I guess I'll say like FedoraRefugee: yes, you should have no problem about this.

Personally, currently I have Fedora 12 installed on an "old" computer and for now everything is good, no problem. Just a little hint. Disable SELinux. Like I said in a post above, it's useless and rather/often a source of problem for a normal user. But if you're "the paranoid of the district" you'll want perhaps to keep it activated... :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Personally, I have had few problems with selinux. F12 did have some problems though. I usually leave it alone until it starts bothering me then I disable it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”