20%
LXDE with Metacity
22%
LXDE+*box window manager
59%

Total votes : 200

Re: LXDE or GNOME+OPENBOX?

Postby mati75 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:09 am

I make Linux Mint with lxde (more information here: link removed). It's first version, but there having a lot of errors :D .
Edit by Husse: See below
mati75
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mattf on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:00 pm

I would love to see an LXDE + Openbox version of Mint. I'm hoping it would be like Crunchbang, but with more configuration tools and stable enough for daily use. That would be a real gift to the community.
mattf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:17 am

I removed the link to this "unofficial Mint lxde" in the post by mati75
It is not permitted to use Mint branding without the permission of Clem or me
It is not permitted to release an edition under the Mint name without the permission of Clem
This is to be sure that what ever is released as Mint meets our standards
It is permitted to use Mint as a base and release your own version, but then all Mint branding must be removed
This is to protect Mint
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby kneekoo on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:09 am

Husse, you did the right thing removing that link, but the point is people are pretty anxious to see Mint LXDE - myself included. I know you're currently busy with the KDE and XFCE Community Editions but at least offer us some feedback on what's up in here, on LXDE. Will this be part of your plans? Will you create a normal CE or a MiniCE based off LXDE? What about both? (more complicated)

I tried to get some attention in here and the blog as well but I can't do more than that 'cause it is useless to stress you guys. You know better what to put on the table but the lack of information is killing us. :P Give us a hand, freshen-up these threads with some official info. Is it set for the end of July? Great! Is is set for August or September? Well... OK, but still great! It's just it is annoying to check these two threads almost daily and see no action. I'm sure you understand.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 am

We are working on a LXDE edition but I have not heard of McLovin, who is the dev, for a while
I know he had a baby recently so he probably has his hands full
The KDE and XFCE editions are always (well not quite) released a month or so after the main edition but we can't say that for sure about fluxbox and lxde
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby kneekoo on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:19 am

McLovin, congratulations for your baby! :) I hope we'll see you back soon, hopefully not exhausted. :P

I did manage to install LXDE in my Mint but I can't compare my work to the Mint's team so I'll wait for the official release. Thank you for your reply. Maybe someone will try to contact him and if he cannot get back during the next 2-3 months at least we should know and maybe someone else in the team will continue McLovin's work. As far as I understand from his posts, the big part has been done and it only needs testing. If that's the case, I hope we'll see it soon online. :)
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 pm

As far as I understand from his posts, the big part has been done and it only needs testing.

There has been no iso submitted for testing yet. Hopefully McLovin will give us an update on how things are going.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kneekoo on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 pm

This is it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=22891

3-17-09
Ok, I have sent a very early, and very rough iso to Clem to take a look at, and see what he think, and says. I am still having the issues with the installer not installing Grub correctly, but the installer itself is working fine for installing the iso.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:22 pm

That is from Fri Mar 06, 2009. McLovin has to test his proposed release against the quality spreadsheet, then upload it. Next, I put the release through all of the tests and either approve or reject the release. If I approve the release, Clem runs it through all of the quality tests and makes the final decision weather or not to release to the public. This is the minimum amount of testing a release can go through, often other team members will test the release too. Anything bearing the Mint name must go through this process to be released to ensure you receive the highest quality release possible. The first release is always a Release Candidate so the community has an opportunity to test the release for bugs and provide feedback on the release. Clem has set up a very solid way of ensuring quality in our releases. Anything bearing the Mint name goes through this process.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kneekoo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:04 pm

Thank you for explaining the process. But my point was Clem seems to have that early ISO. Maybe he will share it with you and see how much work it still needs. But that after KDE & XFCE etidions, I guess. Thanks again.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby gnu2nix on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm

LXDE is ideal, but hard to configure. It is very fast and light on resources... I would think it required for a "light" cd... especially if you want to allow older hardware to be used.
Running Mint 10 32Bit on a 64Bit AMD Compaq CQ62 with 2GB Ram
gnu2nix
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kendall on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:50 pm

gnu2nix wrote:but hard to configure.

Not really. It's a combination of graphical tools and text file editing. It seems hard initially, but once you figure out where everything is at it's probably one of the easier desktop environments to set up. There are some software limitations with the current version of PCManFM, but nothing that isn't easily worked around.
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Postby brim4brim on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Why not Enlightenment? It might sacrifice some ease of use with adding in extra gadgets etc.. though if in the repositories wouldn't be much hassle for users to install them.

Enlightenment on my system is using 30MB and comes with a file manager and everything out of the box and can mount etc... and has full laptop/netbook support.

I used to use some of the other light WM/DE but much prefer Enlightenment after installing it from the easy_17.sh script. Just installing anything extra usually requires compiling from source with missing dependencies in Mint so a version would be nice :)
brim4brim
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jeffreyC on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I do not know if Gnome3 will work with Openbox, they are working on integrating everything in Gnome so tightly now.
The plan is to be the GnomeOS.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to About Mint Editions