Folding@Home

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MysticGold04

Re: Folding@Home

Post by MysticGold04 »

tinca wrote:Hi all,

we have finally reached another milestone.

We are now at position 1099. Lets hope that we do not slip back, as there are a lot of chasing teams that are going much faster than us.

Best regards Keith
Just noticed that mint has a folding team. I suppose I'm going to renounce folding for Overclockers.com and switch over to the Mint team!! I'll do that when I get home tonight from work.

I have 2 CPUs that are on 24/7.

AMD Phenom x2 @ 3.0ghz 64 bit/SMP client / Mint 8
Dell gx260 P4/2.0Ghz. 32Bit client / Mint 5
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

MysticGold04,

welcome to the mint folding team.

The points that you can generate for the team will be very much appreciated.

Look forward to seeing you on the stats page.

Best regards Keith
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

MysticGold04 wrote:Just noticed that mint has a folding team. I suppose I'm going to renounce folding for Overclockers.com and switch over to the Mint team!! I'll do that when I get home tonight from work.
Welcome, and happy folding. :D
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Its a shame we have such little participation from the Mint Community......we need to spread the word :!: :!: :!:
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

I agree. Any ideas on how we all could do that?

Would our own dedicated Mint Forum section help? :wink:

I don't personally know anyone I can get folding for TLM so I would have to rely on internet interaction to spread the word.

Let's hear them ideas. :mrgreen:
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

MysticGold04,

I can now see you on the stats page. Well done and long may it continue.

darco and rfurgy,

with regards to getting more publicity for the "Mint folding team". If you look at the "protein folding" thread, you will see that it has been accessed 14,768 times, which is a very large number of people looking but not joining. I do not know what would make anybody join us other then to try and help the larger cause of "Protein folding", which is to try and understand just why cancer and other such devastating diseases afflict so many people and their families.

To anybody who comes across this thread can you please consider joining. It is painless and the setup is simple. "Protein folding" uses the spare cycles of your CPU to carry out work for "Stanford University" who have found an amazing way to use millions of computers world wide to help them with their research into how and why these diseases occur and hopefully find a cure. It has to be the most worthwhile cause ever.

Best regards Keith
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

I've seen the Folding@Home program for years now when installing my ATI drivers but never knew what it was until two weeks ago.

My grandfather died from lunge cancer not to long ago, and never smoked a day in his life as well as wasn't around it very much. He was the kind of guy that was outside working day in and day out; very healthy man (for the most part). Once I did find out what Folding@Home was and that I could use my computer to help study protein folding, I didn't even hesitate. Especially when I found out that it helps scientists and doctors understand things like cancer.

So I'll ask nicely, please consider Folding@Home for Team Linux Mint.
nixie21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nixie21 »

What do i need to install to help out?
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Go here and take a peek at what it's about. http://folding.stanford.edu/
When you go to the download page, your browser will help them determine which client to install. I just started this myself but as far as I can tell, there are different clients depending on the hardware of your PC. You can also check out some extra info on which clients are available just under the downloads.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them back here and we will help you get things set up.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

nixie21 wrote:What do i need to install to help out?
Hey nixie21, did you get it figured out?

Also, I have some good news. I figured out how to fix a communication error problem I had. My client would get a Core_a1, finish it, then error out causing it to dump the WU and continue on. It ended up being a permission issue so I just went and changed the permissions on fah6 and wah-lah fixed. Now I don't have to worry and we can count on the points from Core_a1's if I get um. I'm so happy! :mrgreen:
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

How's everyone's folding coming along? Any ideas on how to recruit for Team Linux Mint? Any exciting news? Anyone need help? How about random thoughts?

Anything :?:
:D
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I couldn't figure out how to install it, so I used Origami from the repositories. It said I installed Folding@Home successfully, but now I can't figure out how to run it. Or is it already running? /shrug
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

AndrewH wrote:I couldn't figure out how to install it, so I used Origami from the repositories. It said I installed Folding@Home successfully, but now I can't figure out how to run it. Or is it already running? /shrug
I didn't use Origami to install Folding@Home, but none the less, if it says it installed Folding@Home I don't find reason to not believe it.

According to here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FoldingAtHome/origami installing Origami and running the setup is all that is needed to start Folding. Open terminal and use this command:

Code: Select all

If it's running you should either see Origami or FahCore_a1.exe (may not be a1, it could be different like _b4) in the list of processes. You could also check your System Monitor to see if your CPU is getting used more than normal.
Let us know what you find.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Cool, "origami" is running FahCore_78.exe four times. I guess that means once for each processor. :)
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

AndrewH wrote:Cool, "origami" is running FahCore_78.exe four times. I guess that means once for each processor. :)
I believe you are correct. The FahCore_a1 will do that as well. I've been running the Linux SMP v6.29 and have been getting a lot of Core_a3s which seem to utilize all processors/cores quite well with one process running.

Which reminds me. When I first got started, I didn't really get things set up like I wanted but at least got a foot in the door. You may just want to keep a watch on your production to start off with. Not sure if Origami monitors the folding client (sounded like it does), if not you can use a program like FahMon to check in on how things are going.

I'm assuming you set it up so you are folding for Team Linux Mint (76140) but mentioning it in case you didn't. If you did, you won't show up in the tracking servers till you finish a WU and the servers update following that. Another thing you might want to look into if you haven't already is a Passkey.

Hope it's going well. :D
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

rfurgy wrote:
AndrewH wrote:Cool, "origami" is running FahCore_78.exe four times. I guess that means once for each processor. :)
I believe you are correct. The FahCore_a1 will do that as well. I've been running the Linux SMP v6.29 and have been getting a lot of Core_a3s which seem to utilize all processors/cores quite well with one process running.

Which reminds me. When I first got started, I didn't really get things set up like I wanted but at least got a foot in the door. You may just want to keep a watch on your production to start off with. Not sure if Origami monitors the folding client (sounded like it does), if not you can use a program like FahMon to check in on how things are going.

I'm assuming you set it up so you are folding for Team Linux Mint (76140) but mentioning it in case you didn't. If you did, you won't show up in the tracking servers till you finish a WU and the servers update following that. Another thing you might want to look into if you haven't already is a Passkey.

Hope it's going well. :D
Origami has a monitor, yes.

Of course I'm folding for Team Linux Mint! Apparently I've already completed 4 WUs. Thanks for the tip about the passkey, I got one and added it.
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

Just glad I could help and welcome aboard. :)
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

yo....
I installed v 6.29 on my x64 Lucid partition. I installed the lib32 libraries per instructions, I have an Intel Q6600.
When I run the command, it get

Launch directory: /home/lucid/folding
Executable: ./fah6
Arguments: -./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

[07:27:05] - Ask before connecting: No
[07:27:05] - User name: darco (Team 76140)
[07:27:05] - User ID not found locally
[07:27:05] + Requesting User ID from server
[07:27:05] - Getting ID from AS: 
[07:27:05] Connecting to http://assign.stanford.edu:8080/
fah6: relocation error: /lib/libnss_files.so.2: symbol __rawmemchr, version GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
Any suggestions?
thxs
darco
rfurgy

Post by rfurgy »

In Terminal, you'll want to navigate to your folding folder and use the following command to configure the client:

./fah6 -configonly
I noticed you didn't have a user ID in there, that may be the problem. Might as well get a passkey in there while you're at it. Also watch for the advanced settings question and if you answer yes, you get to go through some extra options. You may have known this already though.

Just as a note: If you set up the script to add -smp and -verbosity 9 don't add them in the configuration. You can actually double up on these and chances have it your system will become unstable (I actually had this happen when I first started).

Other than what I've mentioned I'm not sure exactly what it means. Maybe a difference in distro? idk

Hope this helps

*EDIT* I found this link: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12824
Sounds like it's a Lucid issue.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Hey thanks for the heads up!....Looks like from the link they weren't able to help out on the Lucid issue. Its better that I dont run from Lucid since I am not always logged into that partition.
darco

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”