ISO(ing) Your install [solved}

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
owenhell

ISO(ing) Your install [solved}

Post by owenhell »

Hello! NEW Linux user here
is there a GUI (preferred) or terminal to creating a ISO of a Linux install???
and or
is there a GUI (preferred) or terminal to creating a backup of all installed programs???

given that i am new to Linux i like to find the fastest way to
backup my install, brake it, reinstall, and back to my normal
all inside of a hour and
without the downloading of all my programs and up dates
because bandwidth is very expensive :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Re: ISO(ing) Your install

Post by Daveleh »

There is such a thing in PCLinuxOS but not sure if there is here in Mint. PCLinuxOS has a script called mklivecd, this does as it says. It allows you to select or deselect parts of your install and then create an iso image that you can install on a cd. They also have a script called mkliveusb, this can then take the iso you created with mklivecd and install it on a suitably sized usb device (hdd/stick/pendrive etc). Really useful for creating 'live' backups.

As I said not sure if there is anything similar in Mint, can anyone else clarify please?

Regards
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As well as Remastersys, there is Clonezilla ( http://clonezilla.org/ ), another cloning program.

For straight back-up to an external drive, you could try rsync (installed in Mint by default). To learn more about rsync, open a terminal and enter "Man rsync".

Those are just a few of the options available. I am sure that other members will post their favorites.
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daveleh »

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Regards
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

markcynt,s guide is the best way to do a backup, it is painless and works like a charm. :D
owenhell

Re: ISO(ing) Your install [solved}

Post by owenhell »

thank you SO MUCH!! this is the answer's i was looking for
all of your replys have help :D
and I am sorry I post in the wrong section i am Very new too
forms
owenhell

Post by owenhell »

i have install Remastersys and i works great... sort of when i try to boot from the ISO. it ask for a log in and
password that are not the one i have on my install so what is the log\pass to open the ISO
can any buddy help me get into my ISO? thank you in advance
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

That never happened to me.

Did you use the first option ("Backup")?

The developer for Remastersys answers questions in his own forum.

Remastersys Forums

Return to “Beginner Questions”