Linux Mint 8 Xfce RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 8 Xfce RC1 Bug Thread

Post by clem »

This topic is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 8 Xfce Helena RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
richie43

Re: Linux Mint 8 Xfce RC1 Bug Thread

Post by richie43 »

Not sure what happened, but after installing and using for a while I was unable to log in. I had it set for auto log on, and after a reboot it brought up the login page. After entering my password, it returned to the login page. Not able to log on! I had been messing with some problems I had auto-mounting some ntfs partitions, but I am not sure how this would have caused an inability to log in. I love the look and general functional feel to the new Mint XFCE. I hope the kinks are worked out soon.

Rich
szamot83

Post by szamot83 »

Hello,
thank you again for this version of Mint.

I have had one problem after installing and upgrading system (via aptitude dist-upgrade). When I try to reboot I have to type administrator password - after rebooting problem disappeared.

I think that Firefox should be in 3.6 version - in my opinion it works faster than 3.5. There is special repository for this package: https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... fox-stable
Thunderbird 3.2 - it would be nice.

Programs in wine menu could have packages from others sub-menu. I have this on my system. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 48#p218628

That's all for now. I'm using basic system configuration - for now system work well and stable.
Again big thanks.

Regards.
aia832003

Post by aia832003 »

Had similar probs logging back in after install. Also, the XFCE Control Center goes zombie every time I open it.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I can't reproduce any bugs posted so far.
Autologin works 100% here on my laptop.
Xfce Control Center opens fine every time and never is a zombie process.
After upgrading with mintUpdate I was able to reboot without needing the root password.
Though upgrading without knowing what you are upgrading and what it fixes or breaks isn't recommended.

The wine menu problem is caused by WINE not putting any category info in the desktop file.
If you make it take all unallocated menu entries you will get some that aren't from WINE.
coman norbert

Post by coman norbert »

very good job!
I have a Acer Extensa 5230, and a Acer Aspire One, briliant release!
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

I have only found one minor thing of no consequence. I ticked the http://archive.removed/ubuntu karmic-removed apps and it failed to load with a 404 not found on some of the upgrades, in Terminal, not all. I then went to Update Manager and got the rest. Seems like Terminal timed out.
As for the other bugs listed so far I don't have any problems with any of them, I checked them off as I read them. Good work, hope you and your family are doing well and thanks for the new Xfce.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

The servers from removed have been down for a good while and I don't know when they'll be up again.
I don't use that repo so if you break anything it might be because of them.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The removed repo is back up. :)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

merlwiz79 wrote:The servers from removed have been down for a good while and I don't know when they'll be up again.
I don't use that repo so if you break anything it might be because of them.
Thanks for the reply. What I ended up with was five of 17 downloading and installing ok, there are supposedly update in Gimp and a few others that are not coming through but the applets are working without problems.
pidgen 1:2.6.6-1
pidgen-data " "
libpurple0 " "
vlc-plugin-pulse 1.0.5-1
libviccore2 " "
gambas2-gb-gtk 2.16.0-1
vlc-nox 1.0,5-1
vlc " "
gambas2-gb-gui 2.16.0-1
gimp 2.6.9-1
gimp-data " "
libvlc2 1.0.5-1
libgimp2.0 2.6.8-1
vlc-data 1.0.5-1
breaker

Post by breaker »

Just like Karmic, and Gnome Helena, the Live CD installer doesn't recognize all of my SATA drives until I do "sudo apt-get remove dmraid" This I expected completely, because obviously an upstream bug is not Mint's responsibility.

Anyway so far so good... I turned on Compiz, and under 7 when I did so my wheel on my mouse automatically allowed switching between workstations. I went into the config, but it just has choices for buttons 1-X, none seemed to let me make the wheel switch workspaces with the pane or cube effect.

Other than that, I'll have to install my printer and test that.

I like the new number lock key on boot option!

Thanks,

breaker
wbmj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wbmj »

Don't know if this will with the login issue. The last time a had a similar problem I found that if you open the sessions menu and select Xfce I could login
Robin

Post by Robin »

Awesome! Quick and gorgeous. One little bug:

Thunar did not auto-mount a data CD until I installed halevt from Synaptic. Now Thunar automatically adds external media to the menu. If that's just on my computer, it's no bug. But if it is "distro-wide," perhaps Halevt should be installed by default.
rowbird

Post by rowbird »

Great Job Clem, XFCE CE rocks! I noticed that trying to install skype form the software manager is unsuccessful. I believe it is due to 3 dependencies missing. libqt4-network, libqtgui4, libqtcore4. After installing these from synaptic, the install worked. I was wondering if you could add these dependencies to the final version. It would make it much easier for the newbie. Thanks
rowbird

Post by rowbird »

Hi Clem, I noticed GPicview has no option to print. I use screenshooter to print clips and i have replaced Gpicview with EOG, which has a print feature. Is it possible to change the imageviewer, or add a print function to the existing one? I could save the file, then print, but that would involve extra steps. Thanks
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

[quote="merlwiz79"]I can't reproduce any bugs posted so far.
Autologin works 100% here on my laptop.
Xfce Control Center opens fine every time and never is a zombie process.
After upgrading with mintUpdate I was able to reboot without needing the root password.
Though upgrading without knowing what you are upgrading and what it fixes or breaks isn't recommended.

Hi,

Linux Mint Xfce 8 RC 1 Helena

missing removed GPG key

add removed key
Terminal
as root
copy and paste

wget -q -O- http://archive.removed/removed-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -

reload mintUpdate

there are new apps to be updated.

Great work merlwiz79

I am giving Mint Xfce a spin (a try) installed on my laptop
(spare partition) and everything is alright.
Laptop hardware - OK
wireless -gigabit-realtech a/b/g - OK
wired ok
Apps Ok
Nice to see the battery icon status on the panel

Merliwiz, of course you could not reproduce these errors
above because they don't exist. I did all updates.
I had to configure sound mixer to the panel and add itens
such as master/pcm/front/mik/headphones, etc.

The only thing that upset me a bit is that Mint Xfce does not
ship pre-installed, native Xfce apps.

I know i can install them, replacing other from gnome
installed by default. (from synaptic or mintInstall).

We can not promise you we will run MintXfce at home because
my younger brother switched to Mint KDE 8 Helena.
Honest we are, ok?

Keep up the good work
Thanks
Cheers

Roberto
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

Before updating my computer would freeze randomly and every time the screen saver came on. I'm installing the update now and will check if the problem is still there but I thought I'd post it now in case something happens then I have to switch OSs and I forget to tell you guys.
Robin

Post by Robin »

This just started yesterday... on occasion my NumLock light (enabled at startup) turns itself off. It can just be turned back on again, no big deal, but it's weird. I haven't seen any corresponding error message or anything.

Still awesome so far! Wonderful speed and versatility. Kudos!

Robin

EDIT: I've discovered that when I use the Shift key - and only the first use of the Shift key after bootup - the NumLock light goes out. Thereafter, though, NumLock stays on in spite of the Shift key. Dunno if that is helpful or not...
Last edited by Robin on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

My Mint kept crashing when I was using it and later on I tried to use Ubuntu Satanic Edition with it which pretty much destroyed it.
geoffp13

Post by geoffp13 »

Completed an upgrade from 7 to 8 without problems as per instructions on website despite warnings against. All software works as before - processors using less power - great.
Why on earth does ifupdown come up as my default network connection on eth1 (which fails) when I have already setup eth0 which is the wired connection ?. Had network problems with 7 but managed to config to default to eth0 eventually and worked great. I cannot delete this ifupdown although I have not, as yet, looked into the config files. I can sort it but can "newbies" and "Linux wannabees" ? - answer no. So what is going on here when networking is so important.

As for Mint - fabulous - keep up the good work - I have many converts on 7 - will wait to give them 8 as I need to make sure nothing else will creep up on them and me !!.

Keep up the good work.

Sincere regards
Geoffp

Return to “Releases & Announcements”