HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Post by 900i »

Just got back from Ubuntuland (forum) were I picked up this link for the HP Linux Imaging and Printing self extracting archive.

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Husse

Re: HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Post by Husse »

Nice - I'll move it and make it sticky in Printing
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Thanks Husse, I have installed it and it's very comprehensive. Well done HP.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Nice! Can it be added to the Mint installer? Anything to make it easier to use Linux helps.
FyrFyt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FyrFyt »

It is available in the synaptic package manager, but the Mint Installer would help some.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

This is yet another reason to at least give HP some consideration the next time anyone goes shopping for hardware.
Tantalus

Post by Tantalus »

Brilliant, although my USB printer was detected by mint , it took this to get it going.

And they even made it idiot proof so that I could use it without difficulty
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I have added a HP Lasejet P1008 printer. It is detected by Mint. But my print instructions including 'Print test page' nothing happens :?
Advice please to a newbie ( sort of... when it comes to make printers work).
Also how to delete queues of documents.
Thanks
traskott

Post by traskott »

Hello.

I've the same trouble, except it's with a Laserjet 1005. I'm using a Mint 6.1 and have the hplip installed and working, but no print at all :(
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

traskott wrote:Hello.

I've the same trouble, except it's with a Laserjet 1005. I'm using a Mint 6.1 and have the hplip installed and working, but no print at all :(
Have you tried this approach: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83#p128763
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I bought myself a cheap ($40) HP Deskjet D1660, from Woolworths of all places (just down the road :) ), and it was setup automagically during install. Went to open printing config to set it up, but found it all ready to go, without any help from me. Works great. :)
spiffin

Post by spiffin »

Midnighter: which version of Mint are you using ?
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Mint 8 Main. Gnome version.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Solved! Re: HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Post by newyorkpaulie »

Thanks for this post. I see I have this HPLIP software already installed. I use Linux on my TPad laptop and am connected wirelessly to my DSL router/modem. My other PC uses WinXP and my printer is connected to this one via a USB connection. I want to access this printer from my Linux PC. Using HPLIP to set this up I am asked for my printer's network hostname or IP address. How do I determine this? Thanks for any help you can give.
I was able to get my PC to connect with my other PC-connected printer wirelessly. Just took a bit of poking around and a lot of perseverance.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

ROFL @ Alpinwolf. :P
xdunlapx

Post by xdunlapx »

Now if only Lexmark would join the world of open source printing... I stupidly bought a lexmark wireless printer all in one dealy-o and it's useless for me. Since the parents have Windows 7 they can print without problems (other than the general problems Lexmark printers have... Ugh) Since our printer sucks I'm urging my dad to buy a wireless HP printer. :D We'll see how that goes.
kidflash

Post by kidflash »

Midnighter wrote:I bought myself a cheap ($40) HP Deskjet D1660, from Woolworths of all places (just down the road :) ), and it was setup automagically during install. Went to open printing config to set it up, but found it all ready to go, without any help from me. Works great. :)
I also purchased a HP D2330 printer for about $40. I just plugged it in and Linux MInt found it and all ready to go and print.

:D
ChickenPie4Tea

Post by ChickenPie4Tea »

Just new to Linux - always been a canon user of printers and cameras but as there is no linux driver for my canon and canon haven't made much effort the next printer I buy is going to be HP - clever of them, dumb move by canon
kernowmint

Post by kernowmint »

I'm sticking with HP for printers now. I once bought an Epson and soon regretted it. Wouldn't work at all with Linux and not always correctly with Windows!

Until Katya was released, though, I couldn't get my HP printer working with Mint. Looks as if there's a solution to that further up this thread which I didn't know about at the time.
nomko

Post by nomko »

ChickenPie4Tea wrote:Just new to Linux - always been a canon user of printers and cameras but as there is no linux driver for my canon.....
Yes, there is: http://sites.google.com/site/tipsandtri ... on-drivers.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”