NEED HELP PARTITIONING IN LINUX MINT KDE!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
myspacecommassergio

NEED HELP PARTITIONING IN LINUX MINT KDE!

Post by myspacecommassergio »

So I wanted to give this KDE thing a try, yay. I wiped out Linux Mint Gnome to get some space for trying out KDE. All went great until about the time I had to partition to dual boot with windows.

What i did in windows
I defragmented
Disc Clean up

I'm going to defrag again.

This is the error KDE gives me after about 13 seconds into the partitioning I get this error

"There were errors while applying operations. Aborted."

Nothing is changed my drives don't get partitioned and the only option the installer shows is to wipe out windows and install Linux Mint KDE as the main OS (wich I donot want to do I need windows on my PC).

I'm going to try defragmenting again... what can be wrong with this thing?

It's not a KDE issue either becuase I had a CD of Mint Gnome Helena and it gives the same errors more or less but it wants to wipe my whole hard drive clean in Gnome as well as KDE wich I donot want to do. Last time I popped in Helena (Gnome) it saw my windows partition and asked to install it side by side... where did this option go? It's the same disc... wierd... why?

Well I'll re-defragment and I'll try again in the mean time if any of you know what it could be let me know. It wont even detect the free space in windows something is wrong with this and i know it can't be KDE becuase even Gnome wont let me partition. :s
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rec9140

Re: NEED HELP PARTITIONING IN LINUX MINT KDE!

Post by rec9140 »

free space in another partition will not be useable until the partition is shrunk and the "free space" is unallocated to an unused partition.

You need to use the partition programs to shrink one partition and make the space available as an empty partition.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

rec9140 wrote:free space in another partition will not be useable until the partition is shrunk and the "free space" is unallocated to an unused partition.

You need to use the partition programs to shrink one partition and make the space available as an empty partition.

LOL read again I did use partition programs and got errors... you know what I think it is? I think it's windows fualt actually and not linux.... becuase thing is windows throws crap all over your hard drive (like files and system stuff) thats why every once in a while defragmenting speeds up performance in windows becuase it moves all the files closer together so the hard disc wont have to spin much or get the needle to read all over the disc becuase one file can be at the begining and another at the end of the disc(as an example)defragmenting would move those files closer together. This is retarded becuase I think what's happening is windows fualt. I think it threw some system files all the way out there in the supposed "free space" and now it's all messed up for linux.

Now that i remember I had this same issue with GNOME my first install around and I got so freaked out that I choose the automatic install @ side by side when it finally worked becuase I wanted to try Linux Mint 8.

I think what I did to resolve this issue last time was to put a bunch of files into my usb stick that wont be an option this time around becuase KDE is like what a GB huge? I'm doing a Live USB session. Last time I did that usb to for gnome and unisntalled alot of software. I don't have many DVD's to spare... CD's now I can spare...

I'm going to burn a crap wad of data CD's and delete stuff off windows...

Defragmenting AGAIN didn't solve the problem and no matter how many times I defragment WINDOWS STILL ASKS ME TO DEFRAGMENT. What's with Microsoft corp and they're fualty software? Why did they even change the original defragmenter's interface (wich worked)? Well thats off topic.

I'm going to try the Data CD idea and return again if it works if not then I give up. :cry:
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

myspacecommassergio wrote:LOL read again I did use partition programs and got errors...
Via the installer or a separate run of KDE Partition Manager or QTParted PRIOR TO running the installer?

I read your post as your running the installer and then doing things with the partitions in the installer.. and this is where the failure(s) occur...

I would suggest one of two things....

1) Run KDE Partition Manager.

2) Download and run the Live CD of PartedImage

Then run the partition program on them. Use the Resize option, see screencap
partd_image.jpeg
I am showing you the screen cap from the VM I use with KMint 8, since I don't run KMint 8 on this machine on the physical machine since it has my day to day KMint Elyssa install on it. Using the KDE Partition Manager PRIOR to the installer to shrink down things will probably get you past the errors.

Either way BACKUP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP! BACKUP AGAIN! BACKUP AGAIN! All FILES, partitions, images or how ever you want to do it... then use the Resize Option to shrink down the partition. I always prep my HD's with my desired swap, /, /home partitions prior to running the installer as I want my stuff in a certain place...

I don't dual[multi] boot Linux distros or other *censored* OS's... I always use pre-prepared drives for installs, but they also are free from the w virus as well.

I agree with the installer, nuke the drive and clean off the virus... :) but thats me, and I have NO USE OR DESIRE to use that w virus.

Return to “Software & Applications”