Xubuntu Speed Comparison?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendall

Re: Xubuntu Speed Comparison?

Post by Kendall »

Bullfrog wrote:Thanks for the info Joe. I'm a bit bewildered (although excited) by the many options available to Linux users. It's my understanding that Xfce is faster than KDE which is faster than Gnome, I believe. Which of the two others you have mentioned would be fastest?
Presuming the EXACT same underpinnings (which is very rarely the case) you'll likely find this to be the general order from fastest to slowest:

Openbox > Fluxbox > LXDE > Xfce > Gnome > KDE

Mint 8 Xfce boots faster on my test machine than Mint 8 Fluxbox does, but Fluxbox uses less RAM.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Kendall wrote:Presuming the EXACT same underpinnings (which is very rarely the case) you'll likely find this to be the general order from fastest to slowest:

I'd agree with that, but just wanted to augment Kendall's post by pointing out that Openbox & Fluxbox are window managers, where the other four are desktop environments. But don't infer that Openbox & Fluxbox are lacking, as you can get a lot done with them. They are exactly what they have been designed to be, and if that's all you need, then they're probably you're best options for speed.

Joe
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

JoeFootball wrote:
Kendall wrote:Presuming the EXACT same underpinnings (which is very rarely the case) you'll likely find this to be the general order from fastest to slowest:

I'd agree with that, but just wanted to augment Kendall's post by pointing out that Openbox & Fluxbox are window managers, where the other four are desktop environments. But don't infer that Openbox & Fluxbox are lacking, as you can get a lot done with them. They are exactly what they have been designed to be, and if that's all you need, then they're probably you're best options for speed.

Joe
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Having looked at some Fluxbox pages I suspect that its probably a little too stripped down for me at the moment as I'd like to have a few launchers on the desktop to save me from having to remember terminal commands and I understand that Openbox doesn't support desktop icons.
Its not that I'm unhappy using a console but my knowledge of Linux commands is still pretty sparse, although I'm learning all the time; as a former MS-DOS guy the thing that keeps making me smile is the fact that if a command fails to execute simply pre-pending Sudo tends to sort it out. Reminds me of this: http://xkcd.com/149/
I'll be sure to check out the LXDE version when it is released.

Many thanks,

Bullfrog.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Bullfrog wrote:...the thing that keeps making me smile is the fact that if a command fails to execute simply pre-pending Sudo tends to sort it out.
Ah yes, but keep in mind there's a reason for that. Those pesky little errors have saved me from putting myself in a world of hurt a few times, so don't use sudo/su just to make commands work, unless you know why it didn't work without it. :)

Joe
Robin

Post by Robin »

Openbox will support desktop items with this little trick that LXDE users already know (because LXDE uses Openbox as it's window manager): Let PCManFM manage the desktop. PCManFM is downloadable from the repositories by itself, and if you edit it's preferences to let it "manage the desktop," you can have icons on your Openbox desktop!

I hope that helps,
Robin
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I would love to see a Mint install with Openbox.

My only problems with the way Ubuntu and the other major OS developers is that they layer the light-weight DE/WM over Gnome or KDE.
Which takes away from the reason for having a light-weight DE/WM in the first place.
Whether it's Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, LXDE or any of the other, some odd 30 light-weight DE/WMs.

Crunchbang is an Ubuntu-derived OS with Openbox as the Window Manager ... it's pretty fast and extremely customizable.
I have build a Debian 'testing' Xfce from a net.install ... and have NO Gnome 'bloat' or dependancies. You wouldn't believe how fast it is or what it can do.

Crunchbang (Openbox) has made two new versions of it's distro >> Squeezebang (based on Debian 'testing' with Openbox)
and a popular new distro based on Arch Linux with Openbox >> Archbang.

With the new release of Xubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS ... the Ubuntu devs seem to have realized that Xfce works better and faster with out Gnome.
In the next release both, Ubuntu and Crunchbang will be based on Debian 'testing' and not 'unstable'
So far, I like what the Ubuntu devs have done with Xubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS and Xfce. I am certain, that the Mint Devs will do Xfce justice in MInt-9 Xfce CE LTS.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Mint 8 LXDE is in the mirrors now - at least on HEAnet, which, being the Irish mirror, gets all Mint versions first.
fredbird67

Post by fredbird67 »

I'm very encouraged by everyone saying that Mint XFCE is faster than Xubuntu. I've always thought it to be such a shame how Xubuntu has damaged Xfce's reputation in the speed department. BTW, I've been seriously considering switching from GNOME to Xfce lately, because even with 1 GB of RAM on my computer, which runs Mint 8 GNOME, I've been finding quite a few brief video hiccups when playing YouTube videos, and to me, that's unacceptable. Besides, I've seen some previews of GNOME 3 and I don't like what I see. When you get right down to it, I just don't like it when a DE/WM makes RADICAL changes when the old version still works just fine. I was the same way when KDE4 was introduced too, and up until that time, I had been a die-hard KDE guy, as Mandrake was my first introduction to Linux. But that's just me...

But anyways, like I said, I'm very happy to hear this about Mint Xfce reportedly being faster than Xubuntu and am thinking about backing up and wiping everything and switching to Mint Xfce edition. I have the day off tomorrow for Good Friday, so that'll be an excellent time for me to make the changeover.

Fred in St. Louis

Return to “Xfce”