Two different problems on two different machines

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fletcher

Two different problems on two different machines

Post by fletcher »

I have Mint 7 XFCE on two machines at home. One of the computers is a Systemax with an AMD Athlon 64 that I use. I do not have WINE on it. Everything on it works fine except the 'Suspend' feature. Not a big deal, I just use hibernate.

The other computer is an older Dell with a Pentium 4, WINE loaded on for games, and several problems. The biggest problem we have had with it is that when we set it to hibernate, it does not come back up well. We are trying suspend now, and the first try it came back up fine. We do not want to be turning the machine off and on all the time and wearing it out. Another problem is that sometimes it will ask for a password before hibernating or going into suspend, and then tell us we do not have the authorization. I may have fixed that one. But there are several little things that annoy my mom (and it's her computer).

My big question is, can the original hardware effect the way Mint runs? Is it something about the Dell or the Systemax, that not everything works quite right?

I do plan on putting a brand new HD in my Systemax, so that it will never have had any Microsoft products on it. Should I consider changing out components in the Dell?

I want to get my mom's office computer switched over to Mint, but I need to figure out these few issues first. Or should I get a new, custom build with a fresh HD and components for the office and start it up myself?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: Two different problems on two different machines

Post by BrianD »

Yep.

I've got a machine at home that I've been messing around with, changing config files, force-installing various applications, removing stuff, etc... since 1990, and now a bunch of stuff isn't working right. You tell me what's wrong with that computer, and we can tell you what's wrong with yours. :wink:

In Other Words: You really haven't supplied very much actual detail regarding your problem(s). Unless you type a command, click a button, or perform an action that prompts Linux Mint to actually respond with "This isn't working right", then that phrase doesn't really belong in your problem description. :wink: What does belong there is a recitation of what you tried (be as specific as possible) and what (specifically) happened (or didn't happen) as a result.

Saying "It wasn't working right, so I tried a bunch of stuff, then a bunch more stuff that my cousin suggested, and it's still not working right. What's wrong?" is neither a problem description, nor a question that can be given a serious answer.
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Updated:

The Dell will not always go into Suspend mode. I'm not really worried about the other problems right now. But sometimes it will Suspend just fine. Other times it will just go to a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top, And sometimes it will run all the scripts to Suspend and then just stop there, with the screen full of the scripts.

Would putting in a fresh HD and doing a brand new install fix this? Or doe sit sound like something else? I am still rather new to Linux and I cannot figure this one out.

The only problem I am having with the Systemax is the fact that it will Hibernate but not Suspend. And I am planning, as soon as I am able, to put a new HD, and maybe a new motherboard, in that machine.
vincent

Post by vincent »

I know how you feel...I'm having the same problem as well, with Hibernating working just fine, but Suspend refuses to cooperate with me. I can Suspend, but I can't resume without crashing my computer. I've tried a bunch of packages from Synaptic to try to solve this, like uswsusp, I've tried tinkering with config files and blacklisting modules and stuff, and I've been trying out random stuff that people have suggested in other forums and webpages that I've lost track of what exactly I've done, but nothing works. I've even tried reinstalling Mint (well, I didn't reformat my /home partition though) and I still can't get suspend to work. -_-
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

We also get a line across the bottom of the screen where the task bar should be. Sometimes it is a single line and sometimes it is multiple lines, usually the same as the wallpaper, but sometimes plain white. Am I going to have to buy a new computer or can this one be made to work? I know that it was built to run Windows, but so was my Systemax, and it works pretty much fine.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I don't use the XFCE version, so I can't give you a solution.

But in order to help you, the people with the answers need some information.

In a terminal (Menu > System > Terminal) enter these commands and paste the results here.

Code: Select all

inxi

inxi -p

lspci
The above will provide basic information about your system that will probably be relevant.
If you are unfamiliar w/ how to copy and paste from the terminal: select w/ mouse, right click, copy. Control+C will not work in a terminal.

This topic gives guidance about how to provide information when seeking help. This was the point behind Brian's post.

Using the forum search may also assist you. (top right of a forum page).
Using these terms: "Suspend, xfce, resume" in sequence gave the result on this page.

Hope this helps a bit.
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

CPU[-Single core Intel Pentium 4 (HT) clocked at 2992.496 Mhz-] Kernel[-2.6.28-11-generic i686-] Up[-2 min-] Mem[-191.5/488.1MB-] HDD[-80.0GB(5.3% used)-] Procs[-118-] Client[-Shell-] inxi[-1.0.6-]

Partition: ID:/ size: 72G used: 4.0G (6%) ID:swap-1 size: 1.50GB used: 0.00GB (0%)

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) LAN Controller (rev 01)

That is the information I get on the Dell, which sometimes will not suspend and I don't think we ever got it to hibernate.

The other computer I have upgraded to Mint 8 Xfce, did it yesterday, and I am not having issues yet.

And thank you Dawgdoc, your post helped me more than Brian's. I am still rather new to this (but I am going to school for Computer Science to work with GNU/Linux).

Return to “Hardware Support”