Login as root

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

stopa wrote:what i do is when i go into kdm , i do console log-in , then in the command-line type sudo su , after that do startx. So my DE will be root
Now that's precisely what you *ARE NOT* supposed to do :roll:

You are not supposed to run a DE as root !!

Have you even been following the messages here? :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

stopa wrote:what i do is when i go into kdm , i do console log-in , then in the command-line type sudo su , after that do startx. So my DE will be root
NEVER and I do mean NEVER launch your desktop as root, this is nothing less than foolishness.

If you do that you might as well add your user to root!
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Husse

Post by Husse »

I add my opinion - never start the GUI as root.
And please don't add your post to a thread that has not had a new post for five months.
Topic split
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:Topic split
Why oh why? Now all the messages with the explanations are missing. I usually agree to topic splits if the new message has nothing to do with the original thread but here "stopa" was first of all totally on-topic (so I had no troubles whatsoever with his post being in this old thread ... otherwise I'd done something myself) and secondly now that you split the topic all the other messages regarding the pros and cons of "root" logins are missing -- this is counter-productive I think.

Could we agree on this "common standard": We don't split topics anymore if the new message is on-topic with the original thread, yes?

Just a suggestion of course.

Regards,
scorp123
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK - I prefer to split when the time gap is so large - then it's visible that there's a new post about the subject, not just to us that "patrol" the forum, but to the normal user.
It is a general problem that if a poster adds to an old thread it may go unnoticed - it is certainly bumped - but will it be noticed and answered before he/she thinks this is a "bad forum"?
This and off topic are my only (I think) reasons to split.
In some cases you might want to bump just a part of a thread, but I think it is better to make a brief new post linking to the original than split it.
Hmm why is there no "join topics" command?
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

I have the impression that the "login as root" questions are coming regularly, why not put all details about why you shouldn't (and when it might be acceptable) in a nice sticky in the newbie forum? :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

in a nice sticky in the newbie forum?
Ahem - it's been there since april 26 :)
Eyes wide open ? :lol:
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Respectfully, I have come to value the skills and advice of the Moderators and Gurus on this forum. However, I approach the request for how to login as root differently. After providing a user with all the reason why they should not login as root (it's dumb, it's dumb, it's dumb, and when you break your system, don't come crying to us--did I mention it was dumb:), if they still want to do it...let them. It ain't going to hurt me, the Moderators, Gurus, etc., only they will suffer...then perhaps they will be more inclined to respect and take the advice as given.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Husse wrote:Eyes wide open ? :lol:
Obviously not... :wink:
May I plead the Friday Fried Brain Syndrome? :oops:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ antiquexray
Something like that, yes - but would they blame themselves? :)
@ Sorensei
I see now that I may have been a little unkind
Eyes wide open is a movie or song title I recollected as I wrote the first time.... :)
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:@ antiquexray
Something like that, yes - but would they blame themselves? :)
I understand what you mean. Kind of like the guy that tells the judge that if they hadn't put the bank there, he wouldn't have robbed it :)

But more to you point as to blame:

1) If it's made perfectly clear that it is not recommended.
2) If they choose to proceed they do so at their own risk.
3) WHEN they trash their system they are to blame antiquexray.

I assure you, I'll give it all the attention it deserves :lol:
Husse

Post by Husse »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Other topics”