Changing Rhythmbox Reference to amaroK

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This was harder than I thought!
I thought i'd find something in /usr/share/gconf or the config editor - but no
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I never use keyboard shortcuts....
You have the possibility to add a key to your musicplayer - no big deal but I looked for quite a while without finding a way to change which musicplayer. The possibility exists of course, because you've got the first choice to work, but honestly I did not find it
theoneghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theoneghost »

I have this same problem. I tried using Lineakd to change it, and I tried using Keytouch to change it, but no luck. I looked all over the configuration editor looking for the ryhthmbox command invocation and found nothing.
habtool
Level 1
Level 1

This may help, worked for me..

Post by habtool »

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Gn ... tent=60910

(once its installed into amrok via tools script manager, dont forget to run it at the same time.)

Description:
This script will allow the use of keyboard multimedia keys in Gnome 2.18 and above (eg. ubuntu feisty) to control playback. This includes most multimedia buttons found on many laptops. Support for this was broken due to changes in the handling of keyboard shortcuts by gnome 2.18.

Currently supported operations are:
Play/Pause
Pause
Stop
Next Track
Previous Track

Simply run the script, no configuration of the script itself is required. The desired keyboard shortcuts can be configured by selecting "System-->Prefrences-->Keyboard Shortcuts" from the Gnome pannel.

Requires:
python
python-dbus
libdbus-glib
theoneghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theoneghost »

Thanks, but this still wont help me. I took care of the others, the play pause, next, previous, stop. But what I want to change is the One button that came pre configured already. When pressed, it tries to run the command
rhythmbox
but fails. I want that command to call "amarok" instead.
habtool
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe this will help then..

Post by habtool »

I tired the ln -s method below but it did not see any difference this time and my setup with the script works fine for my limited needs.
I did try it in ubuntu a while back when i swapped from Rhythumbox to Banshee and it worked in that instance.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... eys&page=2

Indeed thanks very much script works wonderfully.

As for getting Amarok to load with the media key on your keyboard, first go to keyboard shortcuts and assign "Launch Media Player" to the key. As youve mentioned its hardcoded to Rhythmbox annoyingly, so a fix I found in another thread which works brilliantly is creating a symlink:

Code:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/amarok /usr/local/bin/rhythmbox
theoneghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theoneghost »

Thanks. This works.
habtool
Level 1
Level 1

Post by habtool »

Glad I could help

Stay Well
Lensman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lensman »

Thanks for that tip, Habtool, it worked brilliantly.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is a global change - whenever you try to start rhythmbox you start amarok - not only by the hot key (unless I miss something) Only of interest if you want both :lol:
habtool
Level 1
Level 1

Post by habtool »

Husse , Yes it is global.

Its a workaround while gnome does not allow one to change the default media player. (hard coded etc)

There is a bug report at bugzilla, so maybe it may be fixed one day.

If you want rhythmbox i am sure a link pointing to it directly at /usr/bin will load it? Will test later, just playing with XFCE beta 3 mint now

Return to “Beginner Questions”