Sound on first boot, none after

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Such long lists are helpful but oh so hard to read :)
It seems OK, but to really be sure I have to read it carefully a few times....
Quite often the problem just goes away after a reboot or two...
Check in BIOS that you have the on board sound disabled. It's usually no good idea to have both enabled.
Update - no problems but do not update the kernel
Untick these updates
There is a method described in the forum to block kernel updates but I don't find it - it's getting increasingly hard as the forum grows :)
Maybe I should know - but you can't remember everything :)
Found it! Synaptic->Package->Lock Version and select the package you want to lock of course
(How you may wonder - I remembered that one member of the forum had tons of problems with kernel and ICH and searched in his posts :))
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Jepp - this happens. I've seen numerous reports (well...) that just rebooting fixes problems. I guess that something has been corrupted in memory and reading it in again gets rid of that.
One caution
nvidia-settings
can be dangerous
If you manage to save to xorg.conf this can destroy it as it does not read your file and make changes in it rather makes a new xorg.conf.
Special settings for things like Beryl and input devices just disappear. It is supposed to make a backup, but I don't trust that.
I'll explore it a bit for an answer to someone else - if I find the post :)

Return to “Hardware Support”