System hangs on restart

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

System hangs on restart

Post by nelamvr6 »

OK, so this is a brand spanking new computer with a brand spanking new installation of Mint Cassandra. It's working great so far, except for one thing:

It hangs on restart consistently. But the weird thing is that it will shut down without any problems. But a restart is too much for it.

I disabled the splash screen so I could see where it was hanging, it got as far as (and I'm paraphrasing a bit here) "sending all processes the kill signal".

And then it just sat there.

It's obviously not an emergency, but I'd like to get this sorted. If any of you guys have any insight I'd appreciate the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

well that message says it is hanging when is starts or finishes killing off all running processes.
so it is failing between the final shutdown tasks and before it starts up again. ie failing half way through a reboot.

have you updated the system?
have you tried installing again since it is a new system?

It could be that the system sends the wrong or invalid signal to your hardware for a reboot. ie hardware issue or driver issue. (acpi?)

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Thanks a lot for your reply Boo, but I just came back from the Ubuntu forums where I learned that there is a problem with new Dells, a glitch in the ACPI implementation of sorts.

A fix is in the works for the next update, but in the meantime all I have to do is pass "reboot=B" to the kernel at boot time and all is well.

I won't have a chance to try this until tomorrow morning, but all indications are this will work a treat!
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Yep, that did the trick!

Return to “Other topics”