Linux Mint 8 LXDE RC1 bug thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 8 LXDE RC1 bug thread

Post by clem »

This topic is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 8 LXDE Helena RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Linux Mint 8 LXDE RC1 bug thread

Post by Aging Technogeek »

My only problems with LXDE so far are relatively minor.

1. No native screenshot app. I ended up installing Gnomeutils to get the Gnome screenshooter. It works but it would be nice to have a screenshooter installed by default.

2. I can't seem to get headphone sound to work. Tried both bluetooth and plug in headsets - neither works. Right clicking on the speaker icon gets a menu with a sound preferences entry, but it is darkened and unresponsive. There is no main menu entry for sound or audio settings or preferences that I can find. I'm pretty much stopped for the moment.

Neither of these gripes will stop me from using LXDE, but it would be nice if they were addressed.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Aging Technogeek wrote:1. No native screenshot app. I ended up installing Gnomeutils to get the Gnome screenshooter. It works but it would be nice to have a screenshooter installed by default.
I noted earlier that I had forgotten about this. I'm probably going to put in the screenshot app that was contributed for the Fluxbox edition. I can likely handle this with an update, the first of which will start coming shortly after we have an LXDE forum.
Aging Technogeek wrote:2. I can't seem to get headphone sound to work. Tried both bluetooth and plug in headsets - neither works. Right clicking on the speaker icon gets a menu with a sound preferences entry, but it is darkened and unresponsive. There is no main menu entry for sound or audio settings or preferences that I can find. I'm pretty much stopped for the moment.
Isn't gnome-alsamixer installed? I may need to edit the .desktop file so that it's a little more obvious what it is.
Aging Technogeek

The only sound adjustment I can find is by right clicking on the speaker icon in the panel. The first entry in the pop up menu is "Volume Control Settings" but it is grayed out and non-functional.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Alsamixer is in the menu and has all of the settings.
neistridlar

Post by neistridlar »

I think I found a minor bug, running the live CD in virtual box. When I go to Panel Settings and press and hold the up/down arrows for icon size or height the size I get the value "scrolling" atomaticaly, which is nice, but when I release the button it just continues to go until I close Panel Preferences. It's no major issue though.
Aging Technogeek

Found Gnome Alsa Mixer. Wired headphones work OK but Bluetooth is still NG. Could be because I'm using a USB micro-dongle for Bluetooth instead of a built-in card but the same dongle works fine in the Main Edition and in 64 bit on the same computer.

The Bluetooth Manager accepts and pairs with the headset, and says it is connected but no sound.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Found Gnome Alsa Mixer. Wired headphones work OK but Bluetooth is still NG. Could be because I'm using a USB micro-dongle for Bluetooth instead of a built-in card but the same dongle works fine in the Main Edition and in 64 bit on the same computer.

The Bluetooth Manager accepts and pairs with the headset, and says it is connected but no sound.
I don't have a Bluetooth enabled computer so I guess we're going to have to try and work with some of the other community members on this one. If I can get ahold of a Bluetooth enabled box to test with, then I'll let you know everything I find.
chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

Here's a very first impression. I just installed LXDE RC1, and I'm positive I told the installation process to automatically log in as opposed to require name / password... but I was prompted for name/password after rebooting when the installation was finished. Actually took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to get past the name/password prompts... (must hit ENTER instead of tab, and the mouse doesn't work on that screen).

That's it so far, more to follow.
schalken

Post by schalken »

Hey guys, thanks for this release!

So far I've only discovered one problem. When I try to get a Firefox icon on the desktop, the text shows up but not the icon. I'm doing this by opening the menu, selecting the internet submenu, and right-clicking Firefox and selecting "add to Desktop." No other programs seem to have this problem.

Also, I have to agree with Chipps61 about the login screen. It's not obvious that you can't use tab or the mouse.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

Try dragging the firefox .desktop file to your desktop folder. Or do something like this in a terminal

cp /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ~/desktop

john
schalken

Post by schalken »

Try dragging the firefox .desktop file to your desktop folder. Or do something like this in a terminal

cp /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ~/desktop
Thanks for a solution, John. FWIW, I myself don't need or want an icon on the desktop. I was testing out some features to see how easily and quickly a friend could configure Mint LXDE for her mother's rig. That's why, even though there's a workaround (thanks again for the suggestion!), I think this is a good bug to look at.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

chipps61 wrote:Here's a very first impression. I just installed LXDE RC1, and I'm positive I told the installation process to automatically log in as opposed to require name / password... but I was prompted for name/password after rebooting when the installation was finished. Actually took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to get past the name/password prompts... (must hit ENTER instead of tab, and the mouse doesn't work on that screen).
Did you install any updates prior to the actual install (do note that these updates have no effect on the actual install)? The live CD doesn't have an option to automatically log in, but if you installed an update to ubiquity in the live CD then it might reinstate the option to automatically log in.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

schalken wrote:I myself don't need or want an icon on the desktop. I was testing out some features to see how easily and quickly a friend could configure Mint LXDE for her mother's rig. That's why, even though there's a workaround (thanks again for the suggestion!), I think this is a good bug to look at.
Basically, everything that appears in the ~/Desktop folder appears on the desktop, so to get something there you either need to drag it or create a symlink.
nobodyin

Post by nobodyin »

I have conky set up in ~/.config/autostart to start up after boot. Information appears and stays on the desktop until I click anywhere on it. The information then disappears from the desktop for the rest of the session. I don't know if this is LXDE in particular or Mint in general.
uke-eda

Post by uke-eda »

Hi Mint-Team.

Installed the LXDE RC1 release in Virtualbox.

After some playing around I noticed three bugs:

- When adding a second panel and having the menu on this → Other → Openbox Session launches the Mint welcome screen.

- I put a synaptic launcher onto the second panel, but could not launch synaptic with it.

- Just to see if it works I installed compiz. All in all it works but Desktop Pager only shows one desktop although I have chosen to have four in Openbox Configuration Manager. And in fact there are only two there (which can be switched by CTRL+ALT+→). After reboot or logout Openbox is again the window manager and all desktops are back and work properly.

Altogether just minor things especially since compiz is perhaps not a must for this edition. But since it is in the repositories I thought it might be good if it works nontheless.

Despite the mentioned problems again an impressive and beautiful Mint edition! Hope it earns the success it deserves!

Best wishes
Daniel
nico

Post by nico »

hello everybody
i installed mint 8 lxde on my laptop, it looks great and everything seems to be ok..
the only big issue i found that i can't make my wi-fi working on it.
is there anybody knowing how to solve it ?
best regards
nico
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

nobodyin wrote:I have conky set up in ~/.config/autostart to start up after boot. Information appears and stays on the desktop until I click anywhere on it. The information then disappears from the desktop for the rest of the session. I don't know if this is LXDE in particular or Mint in general.
Try adding "@conky" to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and report back.
uke-eda wrote:I put a synaptic launcher onto the second panel, but could not launch synaptic with it.
Are you launching Synaptic with "gksu synaptic" or "gksudo synaptic"? Synaptic requires root privileges and will not launch from a launcher that just says "synaptic".
uke-eda wrote:Just to see if it works I installed compiz. All in all it works but Desktop Pager only shows one desktop although I have chosen to have four in Openbox Configuration Manager. And in fact there are only two there (which can be switched by CTRL+ALT+→).
As you may not know, Compiz is a window manager that (when enabled) will completely replace Openbox. Editing Openbox specific settings will have no effect on Compiz and vice versa. LXDE was never intended to be integrated with Compiz so effectively doing so may involve writing a session script and making other lower level changes.
mluffman

Ctrl Alt Backspace disabled

Post by mluffman »

It appears that the Ctrl Alt Backspace key combination to restart the x server is disabled. A search of previous forum posts indicated that it could be re-enabled by going to System -> Keyboard Layout, however I don't see that option in this distribution. Is there another way to enable this or perhaps an alternate technique to restart the x server?

Thank you.
mati75

Post by mati75 »

I have suggestions about the appearance of lxde, because add this: http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Sh ... ent=118358 then look like: Image

Return to “Releases & Announcements”