Feedback about community.linuxmint.com

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Feedback about community.linuxmint.com

Post by remoulder »

ddalley wrote:Please add some sort of reporting of those who are, um, overly passionate when they add reviews.
You have a point, the new system seems a little open to over exaggeration and favouritism. Clem is moderation planned for these reviews otherwise it might become a problem further down the line? Perhaps reviews should only be accepted from registered users or some other more trusted group?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
millerrod

Post by millerrod »

i just wanted to let you know [you may already :D ] when i try to go to the chat room at the community linux mint site alpha it freezes Firefox every time all the others areas are working its just when i click on the chat area it loads to about 3/4 then freezes the browser. Just letting you know not complaining just giving feedback to help out.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi there,

The chat room is unstable at the moment, we're working on it.

There's no moderation used by default in the community website. If you see anything wrong please let us know and point us to it.

Clem
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Maybe I simply overlooked it, but:

I could find no link to http://community.linuxmint.com/index.php/auth/login

from http://www.linuxmint.com/

Then again, this could be intentional to keep the sites distinct. Just as the look of the backgrounds and layouts is intentionally different, which I think is a good thing.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes, it's still in ALPHA at the moment so we're not linking to it from the main site.

Clem
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Can somebody explain to me what the point of community.linuxmint.com is? What can it do that forums.linuxmint.com can't?

Take a look at the available topics (those prefixed with a 'c' come from the community project whilst those prefixed with an 'f' come from the forum site:

c Ideas...................f Suggestions and New Ideas

c Hardware............f Hardware Support

c Software.............f Software and Applications

c Countries............f Members

c Users.................f Members

c Chat Room.........f Chat

I know the Chat section in the forum is not a live chat medium but then the Chat Room in the community section doesn't work anyway.

I would not have thought that Mint has the support resources to cover two separate channels, particularly now with the loss of Husse, and since the forum is where most people are going to look first I personally would have thought that it makes sense to concentrate resources there instead of spreading them out. The forum is a community too, the duplication just seems like a waste of resources to me.

Apologies if this has already been said before, but I am not going to read through 80+ posts just to find out!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

viking777 wrote:Can somebody explain to me what the point of community.linuxmint.com is? What can it do that forums.linuxmint.com can't?
Apologies if this has already been said before, but I am not going to read through 80+ posts just to find out!

I signed up and looked around, but never found any interest there. I just went in and checked it out again and personally, I have no interest in it, I am very sorry to say. I like the forums. That is where i will stay. Just my choice though. I have not undertood the intention or reason or use for the community site. The forum is where the real Linux Mint Community is and seems to be. Maybe it will evolve into another dynamic; but at present I am fuzzy about it. Just my opinion.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's got nothing to do with the forums. The forums are a communication media, the community website is a set of tools. Among other things it gives people the following services:

- A software portal
- A hardware database
- An Idea voting system similar in some ways to Brainstorm or Launchpad's blueprints

Clem
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Ahhh - Ok! :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Robin

Post by Robin »

Just registered. Looks really cool! Is there a way to add the irc chatroom to XChat? For some reason or other I can't find a chatrrom in IRC for Linux Mint Users, but I'm sure there has to be one. The one from the web site is "partially" down, wouldn't let me register a nick there. I like the idea of the site though. Having such easy access to the developers is a huge factor in Mint's favor!

a newbie who loves learning,
Robin
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

It looks like our first bit of spam has landed in the Ideas section. Look at pokern from jinmartt .

I've placed a warning notice in the comments but it may be best to remove it.

Ray :D
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

raywoods wrote:It looks like our first bit of spam has landed in the Ideas section
Moderation is going to be required as previously mentioned.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

AS of, yesterday, we need to add Mint LXDE CE to the list of the Top Editions section of the Community Forum/Main Page. :P It's Official !!
Teucca

Post by Teucca »

Software to the pakage list. Education Open Office for kids http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/Main_Page
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

If you view Users by Country, they are sorted into alphabetical order but by a list of upper-case first then a list of lower-case after e.g. http://community.linuxmint.com/index.ph ... y/view/226
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

1. Browsing users is annoyingly slow for some reason - maybe the MySQL queries lack LIMIT.
2. I posted an idea about promoting the Mint community by graphics and I noticed new ideas can't be seen unless specifically searched for, which is why I posted a new idea about a more detailed way to navigate through ideas.

I wish these things would come out soon. :) I would like to promote the Mint community and also allow new ideas to be visibile by a click.
_HG_

Post by _HG_ »

If I look at "Top Software" I see that Firefox has the highest score. I click on Firefox to get more info and there it says that the release is 3.6.3. I am running 3.5.9 but I want to run 3.6.3 so I click on the "Install" button to get the latest version, but then is says: "Firefox is allready installed on your system". It should really install the latest version, why else inform that 3.6.3 is the latest if it does not install it? The same goes with OpenOffice, etc, etc.

/ _HG_
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

My previous (order sorted by in countries) bug fixed by ordering by XP

Next issue I've spotted is that in the software section, a lot of audio programs seem to be filed as "Other" e.g. the top of the list includes audacity, rhythmbox, amorak songbird, banshee and so on. The audio/video section only has ~40 packages in it!

Also noticed that other packages best filed elsewhere also fall under "Other" such as F-Spot.

One more thing I've just spotted! The back buttons on the software section display the text cursor on mouse over. Also seems strange to have these here but nowhere else on the site, not very consistent
sojin

Post by sojin »

Added a new Idea in the following link,

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/414
-----------------------------------------------------------
It would be good if we have a section in this site to share some good links/articles/info we found elsewhere on the net.

For Eg: I found the following link very useful, but no way to share!

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/30 ... evelopment
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ainer

Post by Ainer »

I've added two new ideas for the community.linuxmint.com blueprints page.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/commun ... -licensing

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/commun ... act-fields

The first requests that user submitted content (i.e. ideas, tutorials, profiles, et cetera) be licensed under a Creative Commons license (or similar). Ideally something no more restrictive than a CC BY-SA license.

The second request asks for some approved method of providing outside contact information from within the community site (ideally website, email, and jabber).

Return to “Programming & Development”