Linux Mint 8 Xfce RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
indrg

Re: Linux Mint 8 Xfce RC1 Bug Thread

Post by indrg »

HI Geoffp,

I am wondering how you upgraded from XFCE 7 Gloria to XFCE 8 Helena RC1. I do not see any other way besides installing again from LiveCD. Which website did you refer to do distribution upgrade?

Thank you.
-Indra
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

You don't upgrade to an RC, it's not complete. That's why it's called a Release Candidate. When the official bug-free version of Mint 8 XFCE comes out you'll be able to update to it. If you want to try and experiment though you can try LXDE, it's supposed to be lighter. I haven't used it myself but have been thinking about it.
CDS

Post by CDS »

I found two problems.
1.Openoffice 3.1 writer. Every time I open file using openoffice 3.1, my file crashes. It will crash and recover every time. I upgrade to openoffice 3.2, after that it works perfectly,nothing crashes anymore.

2. It doesn't show other drives in the computer. I can't access file saved in Drive-D,F.( My netbook is dual booting system).

others, I found very good, quick and snappy.

cds.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

CDS wrote:
It doesn't show other drives in the computer. I can't access file saved in Drive-D,F.( My netbook is dual booting system).

others, I found very good, quick and snappy.

cds.
Check this previous post for drives not showing:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p250766
geoffp13

Post by geoffp13 »

Hi Indra

I followed links on the Mint website and observed all the warnings. The upgrade went well with instructions followed to the letter. After completion my networking icon at the bottom right of the screen showed eth1 connected but there was no cable in that slot. I reconfigured my "networks" config files to get everything working correctly without a problem to Eth0 now my network icon (bottom right of screen shows not connected) and yet I am sending this. My point is that "newbies" and "linux wanabees" will not tolerate this and once again Linux is "too difficult"

I had exactly the same problem when first trying Linux Mint 7 from the installation disk. I personally do not have a problem as I am in the IT industry and am "old school" basic programming etc etc. My issue is that basic issues like networking need to be spot on in this day and age and my work converting Micr£&*ft users to Linux is not helped by these simple problems to you and I.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincere regards
Geoff
geoffp13

Post by geoffp13 »

indrg wrote:HI Geoffp,

I am wondering how you upgraded from XFCE 7 Gloria to XFCE 8 Helena RC1. I do not see any other way besides installing again from LiveCD. Which website did you refer to do distribution upgrade?

Thank you.
-Indra
Hi Indra
Off the top of my head I cannot remember but it was a link from the Mint website. It did carry all sorts of warnings which I was quite happy about and the installation upgrade from 7 to 8 went without a hitch and I have had no problems since. The networking icon still shows not connected and "networking not managed" as it did in 7. This is no big deal and does not bother me at all. It is just annoying that such a simple operation like connecting to the network leaves a visible issue even though everything is working fine after some config tweeking.

I will try and find the installation link and post it on later.

TTFN
Geoff

Return to “Releases & Announcements”