[SOLVED] Fluxbox Menu is killed by Nautilus!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Fluxbox Menu is killed by Nautilus!

Post by Mazhar »

Hi friends!

I installed mint-8 fluxbox in a slow pc recently, dual boot with windows xp.
I found, I can not browse files of windows partitions via thunar. Though I mounted these. Then I installed nautilus. Now I see, mounted partitions are visible on the desktop, I am browsing files smoothly.

But strange, when I right click on desktop, I see no 'menu'. I see only these: create folder, create document, create launcher, clean up by name, keep aligned, change background image.

You know, there is no 'menu' in the taskbar. How can I shut down my pc now? Found no solution. Then I unplugged the power cable, then booted again. Now I found menu when I right clicked on desktop. Then I again went to nautilus for file browsing. Then again no menu!

Nautilus killed the menu.

pls give me solution. How can I get back menu. Can I get a 'menu' in the taskbar, just like main edition or windows?
Sorry I am newbie in linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SpudGun

Re: Menu lost !

Post by SpudGun »

You could try running thunar again before you shut down, seems that nautilus takes over your right click on the desktop, running thunar may bring it back to default setup, its worth a try :|
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Menu lost ! (linuxMint8Fluxbox)

Post by Mazhar »

thanks.
but how can i find the thunar? there is no 'menu' !

oh, got it. via desktop icon named 'home' or 'computer' > usr > shared > applications > here r all the menu items. But 'shutdown' item is absent ! (good, I can use this as 'menu'. but can't shut down)

Found thunar. opened thunar. closed nautilus file browser.
But no change! no menu.

I unmounted ntfs partitions. but there r 2 icons on the desktop yet, 'computer' and 'home'. But there were no icons on desktop before installing nautilus. Nautilus took the power over the desktop, placed some icons and removed the menu.

should I remove nautilus completely via software manger or package manager?

Update:
I removed nautilus via software manger. But without restart, it did not change anything. How to restart? found a way. via desktop icon named 'home' or 'computer' > usr > shared > applications > here r all the menu items. But 'shutdown' item is absent. found 'terminal'. opened it and entered 'ciao'.
Oh! at last I found the shutdown menue, then restarted the system. Now there is no 'nautilus'. I can go into menu by right clicking the desktop. But can not browse files of ntfs partition.

Can I get a 'menu' on my taskbar? can you help me please?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

If you want to run Nautilus with flux you need the --no-desktop option. That will get you the right click menu back but it will also dispose of any desktop icons at the some time. You have to choose which you want.

So do this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

killall nautilus
That will get your right click menu back again then you have to alter any Nautilus menu items you have to look like this:

[exec] (Home) {nautilus --no-desktop}
You will find the menu entry in /~/.fluxbox/menu.

By the way, did you know that Ctl/m will give you a menu as well as right clicking the desktop?
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mazhar »

thanks a lot dear viking777.

now I am free from nautilus, got the menu back. But one problem still there, I can't browse files of ntfs partitions using thunar.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Mazhar wrote:thanks a lot dear viking777.

now I am free from nautilus, got the menu back. But one problem still there, I can't browse files of ntfs partitions using thunar.
Could you browse them with Nautilus?

If the answer is yes then all you have to do is to open a run dialog or a terminal and use the command I gave you earlier

nautilus --no-desktop
See what happens with that.
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mazhar »

Yes I was browsing files (of ntfs partition) with nautilus. I can not browse these with thunar. Though I mounted these partitions.
Now, I will install nautilus again and enter this code in terminal: ''nautilus --no-desktop''.

I will inform you tomorrow about the result. (Now it is bed time here).

Thanks again for your kind helps.
Last edited by Mazhar on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mazhar »

Update:
dear viking777,
Your procedure worked! Thanks a lot.
I entered 'killall nautilus' in terminal, then I got the desktop back. Then I entered 'nautilus --no-desktop' , then nautilus opened without harming the desktop. If I open nautilus via menu, it kills the desktop.
from now on, I will open nautilus via terminal, not via menu.

thanks, this problem is almost solved.

I will be fully satisfied, if I can place the 'menu' in the taskbar, just like Linux Mint Main Edition. (I could not install main edition in this slow pc).
viking777

Re: [SOLVED] Fluxbox Menu is killed by Nautilus!

Post by viking777 »

Copy this:

[exec] (Home) {nautilus --no-desktop}
Into /~/.fluxbox/menu and you won't have to use a terminal to launch Nautilus. Place it just before the first 'Seperator' line.

As for getting a menu on the panel, fluxbox is not designed that way. Right click the desktop or use Ctl/m.

You might try placing the above line in /~/.fluxbox/slitlist if it really bothers you, but I have never tried it and I don't know if it will work, it might break something.
Mazhar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mazhar »

Wow!
Now I am fully satisfied. I did according to your direction. Now I can browse files of ntfs and ext4 using nautilus via menu, without harming the desktop.

So nice of you, dear viking777. Thanks a lot.

(I did not know what is " /~/.fluxbox/menu". Where is the folder named ~
Then I searched the web for it, at last found in wiki, it is actually "file system/home/.fluxbox/menu" ).
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Also, as root, open /usr/lib/linuxmint/mint-fm2/fix and you'll see something like this at the top:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Running fix"
#############################################
#		ACCESSORIES
#--------------------------------------------
sed -e '
s/{catfish}/{catfish --path=$HOME}/g' $wdir/submenus/Accessories > /tmp/"$usrname"AccessoriesFix
cat /tmp/"$usrname"AccessoriesFix > $wdir/submenus/Accessories
rm /tmp/"$usrname"AccessoriesFix
#		/ACCESSORIES
You can add the line "s/{nautilus}/{nautilus --no-desktop}/g" in between the single quotes to have the menu system automatically run this fix for you every time the menu is regenerated. Your desired result should look like this:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Running fix"
#		ACCESSORIES
#--------------------------------------------
sed -e '
s/{nautilus}/{nautilus --no-desktop}/g
s/{catfish}/{catfish --path=$HOME}/g' $wdir/submenus/Accessories > /tmp/"$usrname"AccessoriesFix
cat /tmp/"$usrname"AccessoriesFix > $wdir/submenus/Accessories
rm /tmp/"$usrname"AccessoriesFix
#		/ACCESSORIES

Also, if you want Nautilus to be the default for the top level menu, as root open /usr/lib/linuxmint/mint-fm2/rootgen and look for the following (should be on line 35 I think):

home="[exec]  ("$item")  {thunar ~/} <$icon>"
Change it to the following:

home="[exec]  ("$item")  {nautilus --no-desktop} <$icon>"
Then toggle your menu icons and nautilus should be behaving appropriately from the menu. I suppose you could also edit your ~/.bashrc if you wanted to go that route.

Return to “Software & Applications”