Just installed Helena

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomp01

Just installed Helena

Post by tomp01 »

I am a long time user of Kubuntu and Ubuntu however I'd heard some good things about Linux Mint so I thought that I would give it a try.. It has resolved several issues I've had with Firefox in (K)ubuntu and the fact that all the codecs,Flash etc. are already there is just great. (K)ubuntu have this strange compulsion to limit their disk to the size of a CDs capacity which means that Gimp, VLC, Firefox etc all need to be downloaded.

Just one grumble though, I can't get Amarok 2.3.0 to work with CDs whereas it does work on Kubuntu KK with KDE 4.4. I have KDE 4.4.1 on Helena as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Just installed Helena

Post by exploder »

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure about the Amarok issue you mention but I wonder if it is a setting because it should work the same as it does in Kubuntu.
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

exploder wrote:Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure about the Amarok issue you mention but I wonder if it is a setting because it should work the same as it does in Kubuntu.

I don't seem to be able to get VLC, Dragon Player or MPlayer to work with videos. Banshee does work with audio CDs though. I have all of these on Kubuntu and they all work without issues.
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

I just tried VLC and Dragon player with another DVD and they work perfectly so it must be the protection on the other DVD which is causing the problem.
Still have issue with Amarok though, it is really only now with version 2.3.0 that it has played CDS reliably on Kubuntu.

Return to “Software & Applications”