Linux Mint version upgrade problems

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint version upgrade problems

Post by shane »

hello everybody!

it certainly has been a while since i have been around here. nice to be back and to see the community and Mint is growing!

I have been using Ubuntu for over a year now and i really like it. I am not a big fan of clean installations for every version upgrade and Ubuntu does offer the the possibility for just that... however, in my upgrade from Edgy to Feisty the suspend functionality has broken and a few web media plugins arent working as well as they should be... hence i am contemplating a clean install and this is what has brought me back to Mint :D I have used Bianca before and written two articles for it... honestly, it was a memorable experience... in a good way :D

what i would like to find out from users who have been using Mint for a couple of versions at least... eg since Bianca is... have you faced any problems during a version upgrade like from Bianca to Cassandra? what kind of problems did you face? considering that the release cycle of Mint is quite shorter i would suppose the probability of things breaking is greater...

i would really like the views of users who have gone through at least one version upgrade... the more the better :)

thanks.

shane.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint version upgrade problems

Post by poision »

Hi shane well fresh install is always good.But in case you wanna upgrade clem wrote upgrade wiki pls see that.I never found anyone til who did upgrade n faced prob.But fresh install is always good.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

stafio wrote: That's what I have done and moving to new versions is pain free. You do have to install all of your programs again, but there are some tips on making this easier as well. There is a discussion about this in the forum, but I can't find it at the moment. I'm sure someone else will point you there.
i suppose you were talking about something like this

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=564

i have had installations with / and /home on separate partitions before... sometimes even with /var on a separate partition (for server installations)... but i have always reached a point in those setups when i needed more space in one partition or another... and with 40GB to juggle between partitions for Linux and one for Windows it becomes a bit hard... having one partition made it easier... thats why i was asking...

what about resizing of partitions? I once tried to do it in my current setup (reduce the windows partition) but i could only move the last sector (end point) of the partition and not the first one... is that because my partitions are primary partitions? do i have more freedom with resizing if i use extended partitions?

anyway i will look for clem's wiki.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

btw when is the final release of celena expected?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

another question on the same line of upgrade vs. fresh install... i have been analysing how a reinstall would affect my present use of the OS... and i have found another issue...

i regularly update certain repositories through svn and have to log into some sites through ssh... is there a way i can preserve the authentication keys between reinstalls? most are not under my control and i would have to request that my keys be updated... once or twice i think is fine... but once every 2 or 3 months i think is bothersome for the admins...

so is there a way to preserve svn and ssh authentication keys between reintalls?

shane.

Return to “Other topics”