Installing windows demo games

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DjFreos

Installing windows demo games

Post by DjFreos »

Hi,

I found out that games compability in Linux Mint better than in Windows 7. (without Cedega)

But it's too hard to find correct versions of wine and current game:
you can see example in WineHQ db http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=7064

Here is project PlayOnLinux (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/) which creates for every game special wine instance.

If you create server with working demo games (with wine instance) then people will see how powerful is Linux Mint.

(it can be also added into "Install software" item)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Installing windows demo games

Post by exploder »

Welcome to the forum! Keep in mind that games are stating to be written to run in Linux. :)
DjFreos

Post by DjFreos »

Do you disagree with me? Linux gaming hasn't as good level of gaming as Windows.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

DjFreos wrote:If you create server with working demo games (with wine instance) then people will see how powerful is Linux Mint.
I think the audience interested in this might be pretty small in comparison to the mint userbase overall?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

DjFreos wrote:Do you disagree with me? Linux gaming hasn't as good level of gaming as Windows.
NO
Now you reversed your position or did you?
--Linux has better game compatibility than win7
--Linux has less game compatibility than windows

Most people do realize that windows gaming for the PC is where the action is, and that includes MAC users who also might want to game with their computer
--nowadays, with game consoles (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) being available; people, apart from high end gamers, have probably switched to one of those console game systems

It is just painful to have to repurchase games for a game console, you already own for a PC
--the way out is..
  • A separate game computer, which you load with an old version of dos and windows to play either type of game (dos or windows) or both if windows version supports it
  • A multiboot option for your one PC system, whereby you boot into windows or dos too play those game types
Cedega and Codeweavers crossover and even wine are not the best solutions for the gaming experience: there are in effect kludges..
DjFreos

Post by DjFreos »

DrHu wrote:
DjFreos wrote:Do you disagree with me? Linux gaming hasn't as good level of gaming as Windows.
NO
Now you reversed your position or did you?
--Linux has better game compatibility than win7
--Linux has less game compatibility than windows
[/color]
I must tell you that I discussed about this in another forum and I found out that it's my laptop's case (no fully working drivers for win7).
DrHu wrote:
Most people do realize that windows gaming for the PC is where the action is, and that includes MAC users who also might want to game with their computer
--nowadays, with game consoles (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) being available; people, apart from high end gamers, have probably switched to one of those console game systems

It is just painful to have to repurchase games for a game console, you already own for a PC
--the way out is..
  • A separate game computer, which you load with an old version of dos and windows to play either type of game (dos or windows) or both if windows version supports it
  • A multiboot option for your one PC system, whereby you boot into windows or dos too play those game types
Cedega and Codeweavers crossover and even wine are not the best solutions for the gaming experience: there are in effect kludges..
[/color][/quote]

I agree with you But developers of famous games like EA doesn't port games for Linux.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I agree with remoulder's comment about the size of the target group. Most people who try Mint are not the type of hardcore gamers who would be interested in this type of demo.

This would, in my opinion, be a fairly large expenditure of resources (that could be used better in other areas) for a rather limited return. The Mint team is not like the Canonical Group behind Ubuntu. It is a small, basically volunteer, group that does not realistically have the time or funds to do this considering the size of the target group.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”