Mint Xfce 8 RC1 - Excellent

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
habtool
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Xfce 8 RC1 - Excellent

Post by habtool »

Just a quick note to let the Devs of the XFCE version of Mint know that they have presented one of the
finest XFCE desktops available. Well done!
Its going to be a tough call when #! Crunchbang Statler is released, especially as it will be based on Debian Squeeze.
I will need to be dual boot between the two of you.
Also looking forward to you LTS Mint 9, based on 10.04 Lucid, thank goodness the button-gate sage wont appear in Mint ;)

Well done and all the best!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Robin

Re: Mint Xfce 8 RC1 - Excellent

Post by Robin »

^this!

Absolutely superb! It feels even lighter and faster than Xubuntu Karmic, which was screamin' fast on my old high-mileage, low-resource Dell. Everything worked out of the box for me - for the first time since Mepis 8.0.12 (which was sweet, but I don't like KDE after trying it for a solid two weeks). Maybe it's just that I don't know my way around Thunar, but even a Google search couldn't offer me an easy way to change permissions so I could change wallpapers and stuff. My "workaround" is the superb PCManFM file manager, borrowed from LXDE, which lets me open any folder as root with two mouse clicks.

This is ready for prime time, Clem! It's time to launch this baby! Xfce is as easy to configure and use as Crunchbang's Openbox, but has more "desktop friendly" features for sharing with family and friends. It's so sweet and fast and simple, it's the new desktop Linux on the old machine at the dance studio which is shared by lots of kids.

another happy camper,
Robin
coman norbert

Post by coman norbert »

this is the best Xfce distro.
Mint 8 xfce RC... fast, beautiful.
habtool
Level 1
Level 1

Post by habtool »

@Robin

The alpha of Crunchbang 'Statler' has a XFCE version now too ;)
(XFCE and Openbox)
Corenomial (Philip Newborough), will be interviewed on the next Linuxoutlaws episode.

Hope its OK to talk about other distro's that are operating in the same space?

Anyway, Mint and #!, are my flavors for the month.
(Anything Debian for me :) )
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

So far so good with Xfce 8 for me also! 4 installs in my house. It has been bug free for me and is better than 7. Can't say more that that! By far the most perfect Linux distro out there in the sense that everything is simple and just works.

er...Just a note, two of those installs were upgraded from 7 instead of a fresh install. One worked fine, the other did not. I had to install fresh. This by no means diminishes the quality of the distro though, upgrades are not recommended and especially with the switch to grub 2 this was not a prime upgrade step.
Robin

Post by Robin »

habtool wrote:@Robin

The alpha of Crunchbang 'Statler' has a XFCE version now too ;)
(XFCE and Openbox)
I've been testing the Xfce version for the last few days! The Xfce4 panel is "killed" by default in favor of Tint2 and stuff to make it "Crunchbangy," but it's an easy fix by editing the ~/.config/xfce4/autostart.sh file to bring up the Xfce4 panel. Adding my favorite li'l applets is just a few mouse clicks in Synaptic. If nothing else, Crunchbang Statler (so cool - they name it after Muppets!) is a super-easy way to install Debian Squeeze/Xfce (or Openbox)! Another way cool benefit is that with just a quick li'l edit of the sources list (change "Squeeze" to "Testing"), it's rolling release! No more huge upgrades or reinstalls every 6 months. Of course if it's Debian Stable you want, leave the Sources list alone, because Squeeze is going to Stable pretty soon anyway.

Corenominal has done an amaaaaazing job with it. I had a li'l sound issue that kinda sorta fixed itself with a re-install and update. Statler lets me get acquainted with my inner geek without making me give up my love of simplicity. I'm glad I don't have to choose just one between these two awesome distros! I get to use both. Mint Xfce is easier to share with friends (and it doesn't scare them away like Crunchbang does with it's deep, stark Conkyness). I would be hard-pressed to pick one if I had to choose only one!

Not too scared of my inner geek (yet!),
Robin
weaner

Post by weaner »

The RC1 candidate is very, very good. No issues at all once installed.

Return to “Xfce”