Black screen in Mint 8, using Nvidia GeForce 7600

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
harryvdh

Black screen in Mint 8, using Nvidia GeForce 7600

Post by harryvdh »

The same thing happened to me in Ubuntu 9.10 - by the way.
I have a new installation on a new hard drive and everything worked ok (Mint 8 - all upgrades ok, Nvidia GeForce 7600)
After I tried to install the Nvidia driver I can not boot very far. I get past the initial text 'grub....' and up to the green 'm' - then nothing; i.e I do not get up to the user/ login screen. The screen goes black and all I can do is power the whole PC off. I am a beginner and can only operate the terminal commands if given a recipe; i.e cut and paste.
Currently I operate via the live CD - but can not get to my programs and data easily, especially my mail, etc.

How can I somehow get rid of this Nvidia driver (and rather carry on working in a plain display mode) but get back to starting up all the way into my nicely working system? Unless, of course, there is a solution and I could use the Nvidia driver.

Thanks - Harry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Black screen in Mint 8, using Nvidia GeForce 7600

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome to Linux Mint
Need More Info
I have this exact video card on my desktop, I have Linux Mint KDE_CE X64 . I do not have this issue.So before I go to far into posting answers for this.
May I first ask you what were the steps taken to cause this issue, Ex = Did you install a driver, enable & or change the settings in compuiz .
Have you tried the compatibility Mode @ the boot menu ?
Do the default settings work?
Many Questions. Please post & someone will get back to you, Have a Nice Day :roll:
harryvdh

Post by harryvdh »

Re Jay514 questions:
I wanted to download the Nvidia 195 driver, but cancelled this before it was completed.
In parallel I then wanted to enable the desktop setting from none to the most simple, enhanced mode (used the right-click on the desktop to bring up the change desktop settings.) Mint did not ask me which driver to download - it just did its 'thing'.
Re your other questions:
Compatability mode @boot? Where do I get this - during the live CD load?
Default settings? How do I get to these - I do not get past the green 'LM' screen?
adrk

Post by adrk »

the same here with two PCs different hardware
I solved it by using escape button on first count down screen,then choose "compatibility mode" and it worked for me on one of the two PCs :D

any other suggestions for the other PC?

Return to “Hardware Support”