Impossible to reinstall !

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jibe
Level 3
Level 3

Impossible to reinstall !

Post by jibe »

Hi,

After a power failure, it became impossible to boot. fsck found several problems on the / partition and I tried many things to repear, without success. So, I decided to reinstall, but the system hangs while launching gparted (I want to keep my /home partition and a Windows one).

I remember that I had already some difficulties about that when I installed the first time. I was obliged to use another CD to create my partitions and after that all was Ok.

How can I do now to reinstall keeping my partitions and reformating only / ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jibe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jibe »

Hi,

I solved my problem :)

... but don't know really how !

I was trying to reinstall on hdb. I thought that I could try to exchange my disks so that the one with Linux Mint becomes hda. In the same time, as working with the live CD was very slow, I increased the memory from 256 Mo to 512 Mo. Then, gparted was no more freezing the system...

Was it just a lack of memory, or a problem to use the second disk (hdb) ? Don't know...

If I have time, I'll try again with 256Mo of memory and post here the result.
jibe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jibe »

Hi,

I installed successfully Mint Bianca on another computer yesterday evening. I installed on hdb, using gparted when proposed at the beginning of installation.

The previous problem was probably a lack of memory... Or maybe the reason was the version (Bea) ? As the Live CD needs a lot of memory, I think that 256K are not enough to run GParted during installation...

Return to “Installation & Boot”