Linux Mint 8 “Helena” LXDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 8 “Helena” LXDE RC1 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 “Helena” LXDE Community Edition RC1. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 8 LXDE, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1325

Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=44064

Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 8 “Helena” LXDE RC1 released!

Post by exploder »

Congratulations Kendall on the fine work in this edition!
clifdavis

Post by clifdavis »

In searching about for a solution for my continual virus issues with XP, a sim racer suggested I look into Mint. Having no clue, I tried the CD and felt comfortable with it and installed it on a 10gig section of an old laptop that was very problematic. Booted it a few times and played around with it. Then, this morning was going to go back and look at the XP that was installed on the other part of the 30gig HD and after about 20 min of NOT BOOTING and "loading your files" I made my decision. The laptop is now becoming my first full Mint system.

So far I haven't found a question that hasn't been easy to find answers to and you have provided much of what I already need. So, thank you very much.

OH, I do have a question. Is there a way with Mint to deal with my iPhone.

Thanks.

Clif Davis,
Dallas, TX
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

LXDE / UNR / GRUB

Post by capricornus »

I've spent a lot of testing again, but no installing, GRUB2: not on my pc's ! I even reverted one back to Mint7. We should have the choice installing GRUB1 or GRUB2.
Today I spent testing LXDE on my 1005HAB. Untill now, I'm not totally satisfied, so I don't install. There always is tit or tat. Sound missing. SMB/samba missing. Incomplete menu (CrossOver and installed Windows programs not recognized). On one testing pc, putting LXDE óver Ubuntu 10.04RC did better than Lubuntu, but still, there are the tits and the tats.

I would consider to donate for a complete LXDE Mint, without the above nuisances ánd that gives me GRUB1 back. It would be the ultimate UNR, too.
oldtraveler

Post by oldtraveler »

I had to get my Grub 1 back by installing the old Ubuntu 9.01 on a separate partition. Even after upgrading that OS to 9.10 it retained Grub 1.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”