PCManFM 0.9.1 in the Romeo repo, updates soon.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendall

PCManFM 0.9.1 in the Romeo repo, updates soon.

Post by Kendall »

I have debianized and built one of the alpha releases for the new PCManFM file manager and it's in the helena-lxde romeo repo for those that want to get a feel for the direction that it's heading. Note that it's crash prone and will not open at all if you close it with hidden files showing. I built version 0.9.2 but found it less stable and more of a genuine pain to work with in a general sense so I decided not to push that update. Testing this is not for the faint of heart though, because it will likely break all of the file manager launchers and some crashes could leave you without a file manager at all (well, you can use Firefox as a file manager if you really want to).

There is a 0.9.3 beta that has just been released so I'm going to take an hour or so today to try and get it built and tested. If it proves more stable than the 0.9.1 release, then I'll try and get it in the repo this evening sometime.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: PCManFM 0.9.1 in the Romeo repo, updates soon.

Post by viking777 »

If the purpose of this is to obtain a lightweight dual pane file manager that works on lxde (or anything for that matter - except windows) have you thought of Xfe?

http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=home

You won't need to spend any time testing it or compiling it, it is already in the repos and works beautifully.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

viking777 wrote:If the purpose of this is to obtain a lightweight dual pane file manager that works on lxde (or anything for that matter - except windows) have you thought of Xfe?
I'll take a good look at it, though pcmanfm is essential to the operation of LXDE as it runs the process that controls the desktop.

I debianized and built 0.9.3 but found a pretty nasty bug that caused an unrecoverable crash. Admittedly it was doing something rather obscure, but it's still a big enough issue to turn me away from it for the time being. I sent PCMan an email and I'm hoping he gets back with me very soon.
palmito_bom

Post by palmito_bom »

PcmanFM 0.9.1 wouldn't even work at all for me and I quickly had to roll back the update. Because of its key role in the desktop the whole system was rather dysfunctional. If others have the same experience it would freak out a newbie.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Kendall wrote:
viking777 wrote:If the purpose of this is to obtain a lightweight dual pane file manager that works on lxde (or anything for that matter - except windows) have you thought of Xfe?
I'll take a good look at it, though pcmanfm is essential to the operation of LXDE as it runs the process that controls the desktop.

I debianized and built 0.9.3 but found a pretty nasty bug that caused an unrecoverable crash. Admittedly it was doing something rather obscure, but it's still a big enough issue to turn me away from it for the time being. I sent PCMan an email and I'm hoping he gets back with me very soon.
Thanks for the reply. As you may know I am a flux user at the moment not an lxde user, so I didn't appreciate that pcmanfm is somehow tied in to the lxde desktop.

The thing I like so much about Xfe is that it obeys the same kind of rules as flux. If you know the syntax of the 'rc' file (or can copy it from somewhere) you can configure it to do just about anything (of course it has graphical means to do this as well). In the case of Xfe the file lives in ~/.xfe/xferc and it is just a plain text file which is what all linux configuration file should be.

I don't find it acceptable that I should have to learn markup languages or shell scripting just to configure my start menu or startup programs. Anyway I am getting a bit off track and back onto my soap box. Forgive me. If you try Xfe I hope you like it.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

viking777 wrote:Thanks for the reply. As you may know I am a flux user at the moment not an lxde user, so I didn't appreciate that pcmanfm is somehow tied in to the lxde desktop.

The thing I like so much about Xfe is that it obeys the same kind of rules as flux. If you know the syntax of the 'rc' file (or can copy it from somewhere) you can configure it to do just about anything (of course it has graphical means to do this as well). In the case of Xfe the file lives in ~/.xfe/xferc and it is just a plain text file which is what all linux configuration file should be.

I don't find it acceptable that I should have to learn markup languages or shell scripting just to configure my start menu or startup programs. Anyway I am getting a bit off track and back onto my soap box. Forgive me. If you try Xfe I hope you like it.
I'm playing with Xfe right now and I'm rather impressed. Very effective and very intuitive. I'm going to run some tests with it and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I've heard of Xfe a couple of times in the past but never really gave it a good run for its money.

Eventually I'd really like to see a situation where the web browser doubles as a "secure" file manager in a separate browser instance, therefore cutting a lot of applications and dependencies completely out of the equation. The only browser I know of that defaults to separate instances is Chrome (giving Firefox root privileges is a BIG mistake as far as I'm concerned though I still occasionally use it for basic file management sometimes), so maybe there will be some progress on that front in the future.
wlake

Post by wlake »

Hi,
I've been playing around with Lubuntu Alpha 3. It has PCManfm 0.92. My problem is that is I have Lubuntu installed on an external USB HD with 12 partitions. PCManFM automounts each partition and I can't figure how to stop it. I have taken it out of the LXDE autostart and edited the fstab file but nothing works for me. So I'm not using it. I downloaded Thunar and that works fine. It lists all the partitions and I can mount them when I wish. I should add that I don't care for desktop icons so not using PCManFM to manage the desktop is not a problem for me. I can still use nitrogen to manage the wallpaper.
wlake

Post by wlake »

Got an update today, PCManFM 0.93 seems to have fixed the problem. In preferences there is a volume management tab that I do not think was there before. But I could be wrong. Usually am.
palmito_bom

Post by palmito_bom »

In trying out PCman 0.9.1 and regressing back after it didn't work properly I seem to have lost the associated files from PCMan (.pdf-document viewer, .odt-open office etc...)is there an easy way to reinstate these? It may be easy and obvious but I'm just not able to figure it out.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

palmito_bom wrote:In trying out PCman 0.9.1 and regressing back after it didn't work properly I seem to have lost the associated files from PCMan (.pdf-document viewer, .odt-open office etc...)is there an easy way to reinstate these? It may be easy and obvious but I'm just not able to figure it out.
I'll take a look at it shortly. My laptop is quite tied up at the moment.

PCManFM 0.9.3 has been included with Lubuntu Lucid Beta 1 so I will not attempt to continue maintaining this. I'll post the repo details shortly.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

(or anything for that matter - except windows)...
I am usually suggesting Xtree like or Gnome-commander for Linux Mint main editions, however I downloaded the xfe, and it is fast, I would say probably the fastest GUI file manager I have seen on Linux..

I just have to get it to appear on the Mint 7 menu..
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

DrHu wrote:
I am usually suggesting Xtree like or Gnome-commander for Linux Mint main editions, however I downloaded the xfe, and it is fast, I would say probably the fastest GUI file manager I have seen on Linux..

You'll probably need to make a .desktop file yourself. Its not to difficult to do.
palmito_bom

Post by palmito_bom »

I'm checking back in to find out what I can do do permanently reassociate diff types of files to their respective applications? As I posted earlier somehow they have gotten unassociated in Pcmanfm after trying out the 0.9.1.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

JerichoKru wrote:
DrHu wrote:

You'll probably need to make a .desktop file yourself. Its not to difficult to do.
You don't even need that. Just right click the Menu button, Edit Menu, New Item, Name XFE, command xfe, and the icon is in /usr/share/pixmaps/xfe.png.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Does PCManFM have a video thumbnailer?
palmito_bom

Post by palmito_bom »

PCManFM 0.5.1 came installed on the Release candidate but doesn't automatic upgrade to the final version that has 0.5.2 (I think it is in the Lucid not Karmic Repo)

to work around this I went to
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/pcmanfm/download

to download and install deb package with updated core component of LXDE-- it solved some MIME problems for me but I don't think it has video snapshots

Return to “Software & Applications”