Looked at Linux Mint friendly computers...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jmonlive

Looked at Linux Mint friendly computers...

Post by jmonlive »

I looked at the 'Linux Mint-friendly laptops' and I applaud the hardware-diversity support (Linux is like this :) ?). I've been looking at buying a computer in the $450 range, so I'm wondering if the best candidate I have will work: Dell Latitude D610 Laptop Notebook; anyone who can testify that they have installed "Linux Mint 8 - Main Edition" on this computer and got out-of-box wifi (check? :wink: ), keyboard (check? :wink: ), touchpad (check? :wink: ) sound (check? :wink: ) and graphics (check? :wink: ). I'm a Linux newbie :oops: and I want to be assured that I won't have a horror-story repeat of my cpu-overclock :cry: experience a few years ago (with Fedora family?) as well as recent wifi problems with Mandriva and other families, :( so please testify on the following! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markfiend

Re: Looked at Linux Mint friendly computers...

Post by markfiend »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p143651

My Dell Inspiron 15 works on all your points. See the link for more detailed spec of what I got from Dell.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

jmonlive wrote:Dell Latitude D610 Laptop Notebook; anyone who can testify that they have installed "Linux Mint 8 - Main Edition" on this computer and got out-of-box wifi (check? ), keyboard (check? ), touchpad (check? ) sound (check? ) and graphics (check? ). I'm a Linux newbie and I want to be assured that I won't have a horror-story repeat of my cpu-overclock
..I want to be assured that I won't have a horror-story repeat of my cpu-overclock
First no-one, even the one that provides the testimonial will offer any guarantee that your installation, if problem free or fixed will in any way match your experience, if you accept that testimonial..
Second, testimonials are just that; a single user's experience, YMWV (your mileage will vary), not as most adverts indicate, your mileage may vary
--simply because it will: depending on your skill set at recognizing and fixing issues (if there are any), CD burns or otherwise..

With Ubuntu 8.04 ~ robably around Mint 6 release level..
http://michaeleberhart.net/linux/ubuntu/8_04/

Opensuse 11.1
--a more recent Linux version with a later kernel..
http://michaeleberhart.net/linux/opensuse/11_1/
Robin

Post by Robin »

There' the Linux Mint Hardware Compatibility page here, that offers a few testimonials and links to the hardware database. If you can find a new computer that ships with Linux Mint already installed from the factory, so much the better!

Robin
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

for what it's worth:

I have a Dell Latitude D400. I put a fresh hard drive in it and installed Windows XP SP2. After 45 minutes, the installation was complete, and I had a tiny little viewport 640x480 for video, no ethernet, no sound, no wireless, no bluetooth, no touchpad (no drivers for any of these -- on a laptop that proudly boasted a "Designed for Windows XP" sticker on it!). I spent another 20 minutes (half the time of the XP install) to put Linux Mint 7 on it alongside Windows XP, and everything worked right out of the box -- 1024x768 video, ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, sound and touchpad... all working fine. While booted into Mint 7 after the install, I surfed over to the Dell website and downloaded all of the Windows drivers for the D400, then mounted the Windows XP partition and dropped them on my XP desktop for installation there the next time I booted into Windows XP.

That was Mint 7 (Gloria). I later upgraded the Linux install to Mint 8 (Helena). No problems with the upgrade, but there were a few issues with ACPI, DPMS et al under the new OS -- instead of "sleeping" the display, it would lapse into a coma where I could do little more than power cycle the laptop to get it to wake up. Traced this back to a change in the ACPI implementation in the kernel (so it's not Mint's [or even Ubuntu's] fault) that was fixed in the 2.6.33 kernel. That kernel came out in mid-February, so I've manually upgraded the kernel on the laptop under Mint 8 and haven't had that issue recur.

Your best bet is to boot up your laptop using the Live CD (Mint 8, or Mint 7, or whatever) and use it for a while -- it'll be a little slower, running from the CD, than it would be with an actual install... but you can see if there's any issue with hardware support under that OS before you commit to it by installing it on the HD.

PS: As far as I know, those Windows drivers I downloaded from Dell and dropped on the XP desktop?? They're still there, waiting for "the next time I boot into Windows XP". :wink:
jp_dupuis

Post by jp_dupuis »

jmonlive wrote:I looked at the 'Linux Mint-friendly laptops' and I applaud the hardware-diversity support (Linux is like this :) ?). I've been looking at buying a computer in the $450 range, so I'm wondering if the best candidate I have will work: Dell Latitude D610 Laptop Notebook; anyone who can testify that they have installed "Linux Mint 8 - Main Edition" on this computer and got out-of-box wifi (check? :wink: ), keyboard (check? :wink: ), touchpad (check? :wink: ) sound (check? :wink: ) and graphics (check? :wink: ). I'm a Linux newbie :oops: and I want to be assured that I won't have a horror-story repeat of my cpu-overclock :cry: experience a few years ago (with Fedora family?) as well as recent wifi problems with Mandriva and other families, :( so please testify on the following! :D

I have installed it on a D610... For all it's worth this is what worked for me:

- Wifi
- Keyboard
- Touchpad
- Sound (Microphone and headphone jacks as well. Volume and mute buttons also worked)
- Graphics

The only problem I have so far is that I hit the update button. A bunch of packages were updated and now the "hibernate" doesn't work. I'm also a newbie and let me say this is the best "out-of-the-box" distro I have tried so far.

Return to “Installation & Boot”