Kernel vulnerabilities

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
vidarkr

Re: Kernel vulnerabilities

Post by vidarkr »

Upgrading the kernel from 2.6.31-14 to 2.6.31-20 caused a whole range of problems on my Acer Aspire 5720 ZG lap top runing Linux Mint 8 Helena

First of all the system goes into the text login prompt and stays there for approximately 2 minutes during boot up, then it starts x automatically. If I log in from the text prompt and start x manually, x will still restart automatically after those 2 minutes.

Secondly, if I don't have a CD or DVD in my drive at boot up, Linux will not find it if I insert it after boot up, likewise with memory cards, USB memory sticks and a video camera connected to the firewire interface.

The really strange thing, though, is that these problems are exactly the same if I now boot into the old kernel 2.6.31-14 from grub.

I see that many of the other people posting here says that kernel upgrade went like a dream. Not so with me, unfortunately.

Needless to say, my system is not in a condition to my liking right now.

Regards
VK

Return to “Releases & Announcements”