Not the Owner

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gkrusty

Not the Owner

Post by gkrusty »

I installed mint4win and now when I try and change any setting I get an error that I do not have any permissions. Upon further investigation when viewing the properties of any drive it says that I am not the owner and cannot make any changes.

How can I change this? Did I miss something during installation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: Not the Owner

Post by revdjenk »

gkrusty,

First, I will admit to not being an expert on this...but to give you an answer until someone else comes along...

I assume that since you mention mint4win, you have "installed" Mint through Windows. You are really at the mercy of Windows for your Mint experience, as mint4win is allowing you to run Mint from that other OS. So, you should not be surprised to not have permission, as the other OS has the permissions!

If you wish to have a better Mint experience, then start the livecd and install Mint in a dual-boot. You will have a new limit, in that you will have to choose your OS to work in at boot. (i actually did this for six months, before I realized that I rarely booted into Windows. I have been Windows-free for four years)

For greatest security, and greatest overall usage, it would be better to let Mint take over the whole hard drive, and then install windows as a virtual machine. (Assuming you need Windows for some special programs, games.)

Of course, don't do any of the above without first doing a backup of your data!!

God bless
Doug
phread

Post by phread »

Noob, here, having the same issue. I'm trying to extract a bunch of tools to my /home/tools folder via the GUI, and I keep getting the "You are not owner so you can't change permissions" nonsense. Is the only way to do this through command line? My kung fu isn't what it needs to be. I'm running this in a VM if that matters, not Mint4Win.
phread

Post by phread »

Think I figured it out. However, I don't know if all of these steps were necessary. First I went to the Menu->administration->users/groups and gave my user all permissions, and added myself to the "root" group <-- this is the part I'm not sure whether it was necessary or not. And then I opened the folder I was trying to extract to and right clicked it and simply selected the option "open as root", I swear I had tried this before I added myself to the "root" group and it didn't work, but maybe I didn't (I've tried a lot of things). Anyhoo... +10xp

Return to “Installation & Boot”