Fluxbox Mint - GNOME Mint file sharing [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boballen55

Fluxbox Mint - GNOME Mint file sharing [SOLVED]

Post by boballen55 »

I'm having trouble file sharing on a local area network with a laptop with the Fluxbox version of Mint and a desktop with the Main edition. I really just want to have my desktop allow access to a couple of files such as my music folder just to be able to use them around the house. So I've done the normal allowing sharing on the desktop with the folders I want, changed the permissions so anyone can create/delete, allowed guest access and it still was giving me trouble. So I found this post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ng#p254998
and added the recommended information to may hosts file and created the suggested Network folder for easy access in thunar. This has allowed me to see my desktop on the network and the shared folders. But I cannot open them and access the folders. I always get: 'Failed to open directory "file". Connection timed out.'

What can I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Fluxbox Mint - GNOME Mint file sharing

Post by altair4 »

I know nothing of Fluxbox but hopefully the samba part underneath is the same. Post the output of the following commands:

From the Laptop:

Open Terminal
Type smbtree

smbtree doesn't fix anything it simply lists all the shares on the network and more importantly it will generate error messages if it finds something wrong.

From the Desktop:

Open Terminal
Type net usershare info
Type testparm -s

These two commands will tell us what method of samba sharing you're using ( there are two methods ) and how your shares are set up.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
boballen55

Post by boballen55 »

For the Desktop:

Code: Select all

net usershare info
[music]
path=/home/jason/Music
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y

testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No
	browsable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
boballen55

Post by boballen55 »

From the Laptop:

smbtree
WORKGROUP
	\\JASON-LAPTOP   		jason-laptop server (Samba, LinuxMint)
		\\JASON-LAPTOP\IPC$           	IPC Service (jason-laptop server (Samba, LinuxMint))
		\\JASON-LAPTOP\print$         	Printer Drivers
	\\JASON-DESKTOP  		jason-desktop server (Samba, LinuxMint)
cli_start_connection: failed to connect to JASON-DESKTOP<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_HOST_UNREACHABLE
I see there is some error here but I don't understand it...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

More questions I'm afraid.

(1) Can you access the Minst desktop by ip address rather than by machine name. Have no idea how to do that in Fluxbox, I hope you do.

(2) If you have done anything to the firewall on either machine disable them and try it again. The default setup of the firewall will not case a problem so this is only if you have created your own rules.

(3) What are the permissions on /var/lib/samba/usershares on the Desktop?

Open Terminal
Type ls -dl /var/lib/samba/usershares

It should look this this:
drwxrwx--T 2 root sambashare
If it isn't let us know.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
boballen55

Post by boballen55 »

Wow, I'm an idiot. I just had a typo in the IP address in the hosts file... I thought I double checked it and since I could see the desktop in the network folder I was pretty sure it had to have been right. Thanks for your help, I never would have looked at that closely again if you hadn't recommended trying to use the IP address instead of machine name even though that shouldn't ever matter.

Return to “Software & Applications”