Website says LINUXMint is the ONE Linux for Noobs

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DPMorris

Website says LINUXMint is the ONE Linux for Noobs

Post by DPMorris »

http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/Clai ... y-is-time/

Read the post about 1/5 of the way down.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Website says LINUXMint is the ONE Linux for Noobs

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Nice find. A good read and several good links, especially to "Goodbye Microsoft".
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Egorama »

Conversely I stopped reading after the usual FUD in step one.

The thing too many people don't get when trying to market Linux is nobody likes people who princess and backstab EVEN if what their saying is true. Try behaving that way in real life and watch the way people slope away. Just because every Pro-Linux zealot tells me windows crashes every 5 sec's it isn't going to eventually make me start believing it when I know damn well that it isn't the case.
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed
Robin

Post by Robin »

If people don't have a reason to change from Windows to Linux, it's silly to keep after them, "evangelizing" about how Linux is "better."

But people who are frustrated by their OS; maybe their computer is crippled by one of the (many) vulnerabilities in Windows, and who have a reason to look for an alternative, are more likely to listen. Some of my schoolmates want to switch to Mac but can't afford to buy a whole 'nother computer. Those folks are especially ripe for Mint "recruiting." But folks whose computers are already doing what they want and doing it well, have no reason to take a "Linux evangelist" seriously. I really don't understand some of the "we need to raise our market share" stuff I have read in Linux forums. Other than maybe increasing the likelihood of more hardware support from a few manufacturers, there's no particular benefit if more Linux gains "market share" is there?

Glad I found Linux, but not crazy obssessed with it,
Robin
Robin

Post by Robin »

If people don't have a reason to change from Windows to Linux, it's silly to keep after them, "evangelizing" about how Linux is "better."

But people who are frustrated by their OS; maybe their computer is crippled by one of the (many) vulnerabilities in Windows, and who have a reason to look for an alternative, are more likely to listen. Some of my schoolmates want to switch to Mac but can't afford to buy a whole 'nother computer. Those folks are especially ripe for Mint "recruiting." But folks whose computers are already doing what they want and doing it well, have no reason to take a "Linux evangelist" seriously. I really don't understand some of the "we need to raise our market share" stuff I have read in Linux forums. Other than maybe increasing the likelihood of more hardware support from a few manufacturers, there's no particular benefit if more Linux gains "market share" is there?

Glad I found Linux, but not crazy obsessed with it,
Robin

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”