Problem when ejecting a CD/DVD manually.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdysthe

Problem when ejecting a CD/DVD manually.

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

If I insert a CD/DVD, let's say it's labeled "Movies", it's mounted fine as "CD/DVD Drive: Movies" and opened in Nautilus. However, if I push the button on the CD/DVD drive to eject it it is ejected, but I get a second item in "Computer" in Nautilus called "Movies". I now have one called CD/DVD Drive and one called "Movies". If I then insert it again, it's the second "Movies" one which has the content. The "CD/DVD Drive: Movies" says "Unable to mount location" if I click on it. I did not have this problem in Minty 7, it came with 8. If I eject using Nautilus I do not have this problem. What could be causing this?

This is what it looks like:
cd_drive_eject_1.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: Problem when ejecting a CD/DVD manually.

Post by rich_roast »

Confirmed, I sent a bug report upstream, you can follow here.

Hmph, ordinarily I seem unable to eject manually; this might actually be an issue with being able to eject manually under certain circumstances like spinning up or down.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I have experienced this, and had concluded that it wouldn't eject because it was still mounted. And thought that was "just how it is", and didn't look further . .
So I started using right-click->eject, on either the icon on the desktop, or in Nautilus. Now, I am so used to it, I never reach for the eject button on the drive anymore . . . :)

richy
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

I've had a similar issue with Mint 8 but not like yours.

I would push the eject button, nothing would happen, then I'd open "computer" right click the CD/DVD RW+ drive and select and option to eject it... it would say a message saying it's ok to open the drive now and *click* it would open up lol.

That happened a few days (even when the drive wasn't in use it wouldn't open manually).

Eventually it stopped doing it hence why I haven't posted about it. Wierd@ double drives.... I haven't had that issue yet. So far things seem good hope you get it fixed soon! Doesn't seem that bad though more annoying than buggy becuase as long as everything's working tip-top then its all good. When you fix it(if you do) please post what you did for future readers. :P
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Thank you guys for confirming it isn't me or my laptop having a problem, and thank you for submitting a bug report also! :)
I will report back here when I find out what's wrong. I suspect it may be hal, but I'm not enough of a Linux guru to really know.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

same here I'm no guru either :s
:?
If I was I wouldn't have a forum account. :o I'm total newb :lol:
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

I would like to bump this issue. It's still present and I can not seem to find a solution. Anyone?

Return to “Hardware Support”