How my Linux Mint died.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sourwire

How my Linux Mint died.

Post by sourwire »

This is how it happened. I was trying to install Beryl on my beautiful, customized Mint. Since I can't get Internet on Linux, I have to use Windows to download every single .deb package that I need by hand (crazy business).
So pretty much most of the time you open a package, it tells you that the dependencies are not satisfied (some stupid file that you forgot to download).
You restart the computer, boot to Windows, download the darn thing, boot back into Linux, and so on. Very annoying and time consuming process. Let's just say that.
Well, this time, it was one of those packages that was supposed to get my libcairo2 working which was supposed to get my beryl-plugins working which was supposed to get beryl-core working. So I open the file, it installs, then tells me that the dependencies are broken. Ok, I go to the terminal, do sudo apt-get install -f Tells me a bunch of stuff... blah blah blah, continue? [Y,n]. Y. Oops. Guess what, after I typed in Y my dear Linux started killing itself. First, it deleted a bunch of weird files I never even seen, then I started recognizing familiar names... gnome-panel, gnome-session, gedit, amarok, firefox-gnome-support, etc.
OH NO! Icons began disappearing off the panel! The mintMenu won't start!
AAAAARGH!
Next thing you know, the dumb thing is done suiciding. Ok, I try to reboot the computer. Oh wait! I almost forgot, since everything has been just removed, there is no possible way to get the shutdown menu. Great. Just hold the power button for a few seconds. Reboot, Linux is now officially a dark screen with absolutely nothing on it. Thanks, stupid package, you ruined everything.

I guess I could have chosen no instead of yes, but that would mean that I wouldn't be able to either install or remove any of the software.

Hopeful of your happy experience with Linux, Nick Tsyukalo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Why oh why don't you fix your internet connection first and then install stuff cleanly via the right tools directly under Linux? :wink:
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Considering his other posts, I think he tried... :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sorensei wrote:Considering his other posts, I think he tried... :wink:
Yes, but you don't really install "unimportant" and non-essential stuff like Beryl while there are other more urgent problems on the system? Fix the urgent problems first, install eye-candy later .... At least that would be my approach.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Well, yes, that's the logical approach.
Perhaps he wanted some eyecandy as "comfort food" before re-tackling the internet access problem... I don't know, when my connection dies for any reason I'm usually totally obsessed with restoring it, but that's just me :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Sorensei wrote: when my connection dies for any reason I'm usually totally obsessed with restoring it, but that's just me :wink:
Nope, not just you :D
sourwire

I tried hard, seriously

Post by sourwire »

I seriously don't know what else to try. I tried Googling, asking on different forums, was almost going to ask Linksys to make a driver for the danged adapter, but absolutely nothing works.

And by the way, Beryl is a very awesome thingy and since I have already given up on the Internet under Linux, why not install it? Right?

I just wanted to tell you my sad story. Who else am I going to tell it to, my stuffed penguins?
Yes, but you don't really install "unimportant" and non-essential stuff like Beryl while there are other more urgent problems on the system? Fix the urgent problems first, install eye-candy later .... At least that would be my approach.
Yes! That's also my approach. On Windows my only eye-candy is wallpaper.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

Obviously I've missed something.

Why can you not get internet access in Linux? That is one of the easiest things to do in Linux, from recent updates, it's almost impossible to NOT have internet access, especially if you have dsl or a cable modem.

just curious.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I tried hard, seriously

Post by scorp123 »

sourwire wrote: Linksys to make a driver for the danged adapter
Most Linksys stuff works under Linux. Besides "drivers" don't exist on Linux ... they are called "modules" and are already in the kernel.

What adapter do you have? How about trying another one or trying another connection method?
sourwire

WUSB54G

Post by sourwire »

My adapter is Linksys WUSB54G. Version 1.
They only provide a driver for Windows. It seems like Linux Mint supports it, but WPA or WEP? I couldn't connect to either. I also tried an unsecured access point, but its signal is too weak, no wonder it didn't connect up.

I really Ubuntu 7.04 would be the answer to my Linux woes. In the release notes, I noticed that Feisty Fawn was supposed to support most wireless adapters, have 3D desktop effects, out-of-the-box support for WPA. That's exacly what I wanted. I bought a CD off Ebay with a little badge (which turned out to be a sticker) for the computer case (says "Powered by Ubuntu"). Unfortunately, it turns out that 3D effects only work sometimes (when they want to, it's still an 'experimental version'). Ubuntu didn't recognize my wireless adapter and restricted drivers didn't help.

So this is how I went back to Linux Mint.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Perhaps this can solve your connection problems:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296959&page=3
It's for Ubuntu 6.10 but should work in 7.0.4 I think, but there have been changes that may prevent it from working
l19l91l
Level 1
Level 1

Post by l19l91l »

Not everyone can run wires from the 2 floor to the basement. I've been trying as well to set up this crap and I'm with no luck either. I have not got it to work with Ubuntu and since I heard about mint I tried it out as well and it still doesn't work. I'm very upset with this adapter.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

ve3sre ===> I am completely with you! 8) :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”