Icons and such

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richie43

Icons and such

Post by richie43 »

Hopefully not a dumb question, but where in the heck is the trash folder? How can I add icons to the desktop? How can I add launchers to the bottom launch bar? Thanks in advance!! And nice RC distro! I love all of the flavors of Mint and am really enjoying this one. I just need to reorient myself and figure out the day to day operating of it. Off to more Minting!!

Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Icons and such

Post by Oscar799 »

richie43
The trash can is on the main Mint menu under "Places"
To put an icon on the desktop,right-click the desired app in the menu and choose "Add to Desktop"
To add a launcher to the panel right-click where you want the launcher to go,choose "Add to Panel",and choose which launcher you want from the window which opens up,highlight it,click "Add" and close the window
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

sorry richie43,
Those instructions are for the Gnome desktop and might not work.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with LXDE
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

LXDE presently has no native support for trash. This is coming in the next generation of PCManFM and should be a default feature in Mint 9. To add launchers to the desktop, link the .desktop files from the /usr/share/applications directory to the ~/Desktop directory. To add them to the panel, right click it and you should see an option labeled "Panel Preferences" (or something like that) Look through that dialog and you should see an option to add a launcher, then choose the command and icon you would like to use with it.

Documentation regarding LXDE in general is still rather lacking, but I'm hoping that we can pull together in the near future and tackle this one step at a time. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm going to start making corrections for the stable release sometime tomorrow.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I apologize - I was trying to find the time to dig out an ancient Dell inspiron that has the LXDE version of Gloria running on it. I was just swamped today to get to this. I just checked back before I dug it out and saw the responses. Thanks guys for the quicker reply.

correction:
sorry it was running the XFCE version. my apologies...
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Robin

Post by Robin »

Is it possible to use applets in the task bar like you can in Xfce (weather, analog clock, etc)? Would I have to download "Xfce goodies" to do that and can they be applied to the LXDE panel?

Also: In order to have a nice clean desktop without a bunch of icons on it, I un-ticked the "manage the desktop" option. Sweet! But on the next boot-up, my wallpaper is gone. I must "manage the desktop," again, select my wallpaper, then untick the "manage the desktop" option again. Other LXDE experiments were able to save those settings.

And one other minor annoyance is the delay between clicking on an application in the panel and it's opening. A full 4 second delay! That's slower than KDE was, for goodnessakes... so I must have done something wrong in my configuration. But if there's a way to speed that up, I'd like to know.

I appreciate this new LXDE edition, the long, hard work it must take to produce it, and the fact that your only reward for all that work is the thanks of grateful users. I love the simplicity of LXDE, and the fact that my panel(s) can be completely transparent without having to install compositing software.

Thanks,
Robin
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Robin,

If you right click on the panel, click "Add/Remove Panel Items", then the "Panel Applets" tab, then "Add" you will get a list of available panel applets. Sorry, analog clock and weather are not in the list, but you can add an app launch bar that will do as a dock for often used app icons.
adam933

Post by adam933 »

I must be doing something incredibly stupid (I know - it's possible :D ) but, I only get "Add to Desktop" no matter where I right-click. Never "Add to Panel".

What am I doing wrong?
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

...you need to right-click on (an empty part of) the panel itself.
adam933

Post by adam933 »

Thanks BrianD.

Well, I managed to locate an "empty" spot between "Terminal" and "Logout" and neither right, left, nor middle click had any effect.

I don't think it is my mouse because a right-click on the Desktop gives me a panel of choices.

Thanks for the quick reply.

adam933
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

Adam --

I'm so sorry -- I only, just now, realized this is in the LXDE CE forum, and I was speaking of the "gnome panel" (in Gnome, obviously) and adding applets to it. With entries like "Terminal" and "Logout", what you're describing sounds more like a menu than a panel to me... but, I've never installed/seen the LXDE CE.
adam933

Post by adam933 »

Brian,

No problem - I always appreciate any reply :D

Yes, it is the LXDE CE menu I'm having trouble with. I went to the LXDE Wiki/FAQ and couldn't find anything that resembled what I'm seeing. There must be a way - I'll keep looking.

adaam933
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Try looking in the ~/.config/lxpanel directory. There's a configuration file around there somewhere.

Return to “Software & Applications”