ATI proprietary drivers wont stay activated

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter20ghz

ATI proprietary drivers wont stay activated

Post by Peter20ghz »

I just installed Mint8 64bit, and i got problems with the graphic, its very slugish.
In windows world it means that the display drivers are not set proper. So i looked for it, and it looks strange.
In hardware drivers they are listed for my ATI card, and the activatebutton is clickable. But when i click on it nothing seems to happend, it doesent change fron non activated to activated.
During install i set the drivers as active. And i have installed Mint many times before on this PC without problems, so something must have went wrong this time.

What can be wrong here, and what is a good solution?
peter@peter-office-linux ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card ATI RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650] X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A
All help is wellcome.

best regards
Peter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: ATI proprietary drivers wont stay activated

Post by richyrich »

Hardware Drivers application :
When you clicked the Activate button, did you give it time to download and install the drivers ? Sometimes the progress bar just sits there, not moving, but it probably is trying to download the drivers.

Give it some time, then when it is done, it will change the bottom sentences to "Reboot for changes to take effect" or some such.
Peter20ghz

Post by Peter20ghz »

Im not sure that i understand. The other times i installed mint, the drivers where downloaded and activated together with the installation, downloaded some updates as well if im not wrong.
So it all kinda worked straight out of the box. When i installed yesterday it asked me as before if i wanted to activate the hardware drivers for ATI display adapter and i clicked yes.
But still now itś not active. And in the hard ware driver application, it asks if i want to activate, when i press yes the next thing that comes is the auth/password window that i fill in to allow the driver to be activated.
The next thing that happens is - nothing, No progress bar anywhere, there is no download going on anywhere, and the activate button is still saying that i should activate.

As new to the Linux system i dont know where to look for error, but something is clearly not working.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your time
//Peter
Peter20ghz

Post by Peter20ghz »

Yes, the way described in this thread worked out for me.
Cant understand why i didnt find this when i looked for similar described problems.

Well, im thankful for the link and now that part of my Mint problems can be ticked off.
Im sure to show up soon enough.

Best regards
Peter

Return to “Hardware Support”