XFCE?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

XFCE?

Post by ElEdwards »

Would I see any performance changes/enhancements/etc if I went to the XFCE environment on Mint 3.0?

I've only been using Linux for about 2 months and am still learning and exploring. :)

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I've had both the xfce and kde versions of mint on my 6 year old laptop. The kde version was sluggish compared to the xfce edition. I haven't compared it the gnome version on the same laptop, but I'd imagine that the performance falls somewhere in between.

john
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

OU812 wrote:I've had both the xfce and kde versions of mint on my 6 year old laptop. The kde version was sluggish compared to the xfce edition. I haven't compared it the gnome version on the same laptop, but I'd imagine that the performance falls somewhere in between.
Why so complicated? You could install one version of Mint and then just install the desktop you want after the installation. The login manager would then allow you to select the desktop session you want to work in when you login (menu: "Session ..." ... there you can choose between GNOME, KDE, Fluxbox, XFCE, WindowMaker ... and whatever else you installed ....) There is no need for three or more OS installations if you just want to switch between desktops ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

MsChevyKat wrote: Mmmm... WindowMaker. :D For ages that was my favorite desktop.
Yes, mine too. It offers a good balance between eye-candy and snappiness, especially on remote connections (e.g. FreeNX or VNC) or on older machines.
lemonlime
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lemonlime »

scorp123wrote:
Why so complicated? You could install one version of Mint and then just install the desktop you want after the installation. The login manager would then allow you to select the desktop session you want to work in when you login (menu: "Session ..." ... there you can choose between GNOME, KDE, Fluxbox, XFCE, WindowMaker ... and whatever else you installed ....) There is no need for three or more OS installations if you just want to switch between desktops ...
I'm now using Linux Mint from an Xfce desktop. Why do they have Xfce specific versions of Linux Mint, if all you have to do is add the desktop from Synaptic and then enter "Session" and enter Xfce as a choice? This is working great! I had problems with the Xfce version when I installed it to the hard drive. Thanks for the information. I'm now enjoying my Linux Mint Xfce.
John[/b]
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Now that's a good question Lemonlime!

I think I read somewhere that the XFCE distro is optimized for XFCE. I loaded it initially and was really impressed by its speed and functionality.

However I couldn't get Skype to work with it and so am now running the KDE version on the same disk. Skype works well and thanks to KDE's sound system I can now listen to soothing music while I work and still use Skype!

With KDE it's still twice as fast as WinXP on boot and as for shutdown...yawn!

Can I then install the XFCE window manager and keep this same functionality by loading the KDE services at startup?

Would be nice as the latest Kernel upgrade has screwed up my XFCE partitions. See post Kernel V16 and Intel ICH and be warned.

Oliverjames

Return to “Beginner Questions”