USB speakers + alsa? [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluerabbit4210

USB speakers + alsa? [Solved]

Post by bluerabbit4210 »

Hey all, I recently purchased USB speakers for my laptop, and haven't been able to set them up.

In the xfce control panel -> mixer settings, I can select the speakers [Generic USB Audio Device (Alsa mixer)], but exaile still plays through the laptop speakers. Am I doing this wrong? I've never configured audio devices before, so any help is appreciated.

Code: Select all

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xd2300000 irq 16
 1 [default        ]: USB-Audio - Generic USB Audio Device   
                      Generic USB Audio Device    at usb-0000:00:12.0-1, full speed
Whatever other info is needed I will gladly produce.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: USB speakers + alsa?

Post by revdjenk »

hey bluerabbit4210,

Have you seen this thread?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... RS#p253034
the post mentions getting usb speakers working. maybe you could add a comment there and get an answer?

God bless
Doug
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

also, you said, you selected the usb speakers in the mixer control... but did you uncheck the internal speaker? That would be messy, but the internal probably over-rides the external?

God bless
Doug
bluerabbit4210

Post by bluerabbit4210 »

If 'unchecking' my internal speakers is the same thing as muting, there is no difference. A liveCD of vanilla mint8 (i'm using mint8 xfce) was able to put sound through them, so I know its not a straight h/w issue. do I need pulseaudio?
bluerabbit4210

Post by bluerabbit4210 »

This thread helped me figure it out. Reply #10 was particularly useful.

Return to “Xfce”